Stacking 2 2' Layers, Any Support Needed?

Decorating By luckyblueeye Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 9:09pm by luckyblueeye

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 5

I know that I need to use cake board and dowels/straws etc when stacking different size layers on top of each other. But...can I stack 2 2'layers that are torted and filled (so they aren't really 2" tall at this point) on top of each other, or will it cause problems with the bottom layer? I just got my 1st Magic Line square pans (8") and I'm so eager to test them out. I'm testing new scratch recipe, new BC recipe, using BC as a filler.
Is there a stacking rule...if I wanted to place 3 2" layers (torted and filled) on top of each other for a very tall cake, does every layer need its own cake board & dowels or just the top? Thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 5

If u mean taking two 2inch cakes placing them on top of each other to make a 4inch cake thats fine cuz i would assuming ur doing the same thing on the bottom.. so the dowels will hold it the top cake

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 5

General rule of thumb is you need support every 4ish inches of cake.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyblueeye

if I wanted to place 3 2" layers (torted and filled) on top of each other for a very tall cake, does every layer need its own cake board & dowels or just the top? Thanks icon_smile.gif

For a 6" tall cake, I'd use a board in the middle at 3 inches.

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 5

Super, thanks ladies! Exactly what I was looking for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%