Buttercream Not Sticking

Decorating By SarahBeth3 Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 9:53pm by TexasSugar

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 8

Sometimes, not as often as when I first started cake decorating, my butter cream doesn't want to stick to the cake. While I am covering a cake and I run my spatula over BC I just put on the cake, a section will stick to the spatula and comes right off the cake & the cake looks like there was nothing ever covering it. I'm just wondering if it's the way I am putting it on sometimes (since it happens less and less the more I cover cakes) or if there's something I can change so this won't happen.

7 replies
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 8

it sounds like your buttercream is too stiff. Trying thinning it out.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 8

What is the recipe you used for your buttercream?

SarahBeth3 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 8

If it's too stiff, why does it only happen occasionally? I make it the same pretty much every time.

I have two recipes that I mainly use, one is all shortening with butter flavor added. But I remember this happening when I was a kid and would try to frost a cake with a can of store bought frosting.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 8

Do you wrap your cakes after they come out of the oven.

When I bake one night and don't plan to do anything with the cake I will wrap it in plastic wrap. Sometimes while the outside of the cake may feel cool the inside is still a little warm and I have found this gives me a very moist cake. And icing doesn't always like to stick to really moist cakes. So if I feel like the cake is too moist, I'll just let it sit out in the air for 10 to 15 mins to help dry the outside a little bit.

Not sure if that is your issues, but the two things I have found that cause issues with icing not sticking is the icing being too thick or the cake being to wet/moist.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 8

Do you crumb coat your cakes first?

SarahBeth3 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 8

TexasSugar, I bet that's it! I like to tort/level/sculpt... and crumb coat the cake ASAP when it comes out of the freezer. (I wrap in cling wrap and then foil.) I bet it's the one's that I don't get to right away or take more time on leveling and such. Once they start thawing they do get more moist on the outside. If this happens again, I will let it sit like you said, and dry a bit. Thanks, girl!

TexasSugar Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 8

If the cakes are thawing unwrapped or after the crumb coat it is likely there is condensation on the outsides of them.

I don't freeze cause I just don't have the room, and I pretty much don't put anything in the fridge because it is very humid where I am, so then I'd have to deal with the condensation.

Good luck on your next one. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%