5" Fruit Cake -How To??

Baking By Kaykaymay Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 7:53pm by cake_architect

Kaykaymay Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 3

I'm doing my neighbour's wedding cake this month and the cake she chose has two 5" tall tiers (before icing) and she wants the whole cake to be a rum fruit cake. My question is what is the best way to get them to be the required height. My thoughts and fears are:

1. Thought - Go ahead and bake a tall cake
Fear - It may not bake properly in the middle

2. Thought - Bake two 2.5" layers (per tier) which will be perfect but
Fear - when putting them together the only thing I can come up with is to spread some aprocot jam in between the layers but I just keep visualizing them slipping icon_sad.gif and me crying icon_cry.gif .

Can someone kindly point me in the right direction.

2 replies
mena2002 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 3

I think baking two smaller cakes is the best way to go, I would be very nervous baking a cake 5" high and worrying that they middle is still raw while the outside is getting darker.

I think once you level the cake and put apricot jam to adhere it wouldn't be slippery. If you didn't level the cakes then I think there is a chance that it would slid because it is a smoother surface than the inside of the cake.

cake_architect Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 3

i also second the baking two shorter layers, if anything you can just tap two or three skinny dowels in the stacked cake and you'll alleviate any sliding worries icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%