Multiple Fondant Ribbons On Side Of Cake

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 3:06pm by adamsgama

cathyscakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 15

I have a wedding cake coming up using several rows of fondant ribbons. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get these perfect. Each tier will have 3 ribbons spaced apart horizontally. It will be on a fondant cake, so it will be easier than buttercream. I'm worried about spacing, and the ribbons stretching, have had this issue before, so any tips would be great.

14 replies
aprilismaius Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 15

when i make ribbons, i like to use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant. to get them evenly spaced, measure and mark where you want to place the ribbon using little pin pricks.

cathyscakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilismaius

when i make ribbons, i like to use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant. to get them evenly spaced, measure and mark where you want to place the ribbon using little pin pricks.

Thanks so much, I will definitely give that a try.

cheatize Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:05am
post #4 of 15

A laser level and a knife. Place the laser level beam where you want the ribbon. Turn your turntable and mark around the cake with the knife where the beam shows the line.

cathyscakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:32am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

A laser level and a knife. Place the laser level beam where you want the ribbon. Turn your turntable and mark around the cake with the knife where the beam shows the line.

We have a laser level, never thought of using it, good ideas.

aprilismaius Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 15

I love the idea of the laser level. I'm going to have to try that!

Colorful-Bliss Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 15

Wilton also has a new product that can mark three different heights at once. It has a flat surface so all you have to do is glide it around the cake. Oh as for the ribbons roll them up and unroll as you place them.

icer101 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 15

When you use fondant and modeling chocolate, the ribbon looks so real. Buff with your hands , apply pearl dust, then roll it up and place on a small fun foam peice and as you go around the cake, unroll and it won,t stretch. Just go slow. beautiful results. hth also, can be rolled up on small paper towel roll, etc. and go around cake with this.

BeesKnees578 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 15

I use a ruler to gently nudge into even/level ribbons. Place ruler flat up against side of cake and gently push upwards to level it out if it gets a little wavy during application.

cathyscakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

When you use fondant and modeling chocolate, the ribbon looks so real. Buff with your hands , apply pearl dust, then roll it up and place on a small fun foam peice and as you go around the cake, unroll and it won,t stretch. Just go slow. beautiful results. hth also, can be rolled up on small paper towel roll, etc. and go around cake with this.

I was wondering if you were saying fondant with modeling chocolate mixed together, or just that fondant and modeling chocolate seperately make good ribbons. The girl I am doing the cake for wanted real ribbon to start with, and then didn't like the idea of having to remove for cutting the cake, so I talked her into fondant ribbons, want whatever I use to look the most like satin ribbons. I have done many fondant ribbons in the past, isn't quite what I have wanted. Everyone has given me alot of great ideas, thanks so much.

Dreme Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful-Bliss

Wilton also has a new product that can mark three different heights at once. It has a flat surface so all you have to do is glide it around the cake. Oh as for the ribbons roll them up and unroll as you place them.

What is this product called? Can you get it in Michaels?

Colorful-Bliss Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 15

I don't remember what it was called.....sorry! But I did purchase at Micheals. It stands up right is white and has these little purple parts that actually mark the cake. They can be adjusted to up to six inces. All three can be used at the same time to mark at different heights.

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 1:42pm
post #13 of 15

There's also this to apply ribbon horizontally. Watch the video here.

http://www.cakewheel.com/fondant-applicator.php

And just in case you want/need a ribbon cutter one day that cuts straight and nice:

http://cakes.keyartstudio.com/tutorials/item/83-diy-multi-blade-ribbon-strip-cutter.html

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:50pm
post #14 of 15

Oh, just found the cake marking guide. Not sure if it is the Wilton one, but at least we can start figuring out a name for it so that we can search.

http://www.pastrychef.com/CAKE-MARKING-GUIDE_p_1981.html

adamsgama Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 15

Yes it is Wilton. All Michael's sould have it now. Use a coupon. Also good for Sugar sheets when lining them up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%