What Happens With Gum Paste Decorations When The Cake Is Cut

Decorating By cakification Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm by sweettreat101

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a cake that has billowing on one of the tiers, but my question is.. What happens with the billows after the cake is cut? They are made out of gum paste, so they will be hard and likely crack or fall off, but do they get served to guests? I just cant imagine a guest getting a rock hard piece of gum paste with their cake?

7 replies
Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 8

Why are you making the billowing with gumpaste in the first place?? Shouldn't it be done with fondant? Cutting a cake covered with royal icing is like cutting into a rock so gumpaste should make thing even more difficult.

But to answer your question it should be discarded after cutting not served. Especially since its not like a pretty flower that would act as a garnish.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 8

I guess I just thought it was supposed to be done with gum paste, thats how I did it before?
Maybe someone else can weigh in on that one.

As for discarding it, im making the cake for one of my cousins weddings, so will the people who cut the cake know that the billowing/gum paste decorations need to be discarded, or should I send instructions?

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 8

I'd prolly use fondant as well. I haven't done this technique, though, so I can't say from experience. If you're worried about it holding it's shape, maybe you could knead in just a little tylose to get it to stiffen up just a bit?

Kaykaymay Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 8

When ppl put drapes and such on cakes they use fondant and it holds its shape. so it should be fine for the billowing technique. Just use corn starch and maybe after forming the individual billows you can let them air dry a bit before attaching them to your cake.

Kaykaymay Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 8

oh yeah, I will make sure to talk directly with the person cutting the cake (and anyone coming in contact with my cake fo that matter) and let them know about this and any other special requirements necessary for the enjoyment of the cake and then affix written instructions to the packaging.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 8

I gave billowing a shot (in my photos), I did it out of fondant. I didn't want them to be hard as rocks, it worked fine...and I did not fill them with buttercream like I've heard some people do. icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 8

I would also use fondant not gumpaste. Like someone else mentioned just add a little Tylose if you fondant is to soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%