Cakes Got Stuck Together! Advice On How To Avoid In Future??

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 1:24pm by LindaF144a

cloetzu Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 11

This past weekend I made 3 cakes, covered in chocolate ganache and then covered in fondant. Each cake was on a cardboard cake board. I added dowels to the bottom and middle layers and then just stacked the cakes. They were heavy but the dowels kept them from squishing icon_wink.gif

I delivered the cake, and then when it was time to eat the cakes I decided to remove each layer (each was a different flavor) and cut the pieces for easy serving. I removed the top layer with a bit of effort and noticed that it was stuck to the second layer. Second layer looked a tiny bit wet... then when I tried the remove the second layer from the bottom I couldn't! it was STUCK so hard that it took me 5 min to try to separate them. The fondant had gotten most and stuck to the other layer. As I pulled them apart using a spatula to try to separate them the bottom cake looked terrible. wet/moist fondant that was lifting all over the place and even lifted the ganache underneath that had been solid!!

It all tasted great but looked terrible on the table. How can this be avoided?

The cakes had been made on Thursday. Were covered in ganache Friday and then covered and stacked on Saturday morning. Delivered on Sat evening.

any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

10 replies
CWR41 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 11

Waxed paper or parchment paper.

Coral3 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 11

Had the cake been refrigerated? Wondering if maybe refrigeration/returning to room temperature might have something to do with it? That being said I never refrigerate ganached, fondanted cakes myself - unless you live in a very hot climate they really don't need it.

Had you used anything to 'glue' the tiers together?

cloetzu Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Had the cake been refrigerated? Wondering if maybe refrigeration/returning to room temperature might have something to do with it? That being said I never refrigerate ganached, fondanted cakes myself - unless you live in a very hot climate they really don't need it.

no it had not been refrigerated - we haven't started having 'warm' days yet ;(

I had used chocolate to glue the bottom layer to the board but nothing in between the others - was going to but then didn't

cai0311 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 11

I take my dusting tool (unused panty hose with cornstarch in it) and dust the top of the tier before putting the next tier on top of it. I haven't had any problems with sticking.

cloetzu Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 11

thanks everyone!

I'm not sure the dusting of cornstarch would have been enough - only because it was REALLY wet and stuck pretty good. The parchment paper or wax paper idea would work... will try that next time icon_wink.gif

I do love the idea of using a unused pair of panty hose to make dusting pouch! Will definitely make one now!!

cakegirl1973 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloetzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

no it had not been refrigerated - we haven't started having 'warm' days yet ;(

I had used chocolate to glue the bottom layer to the board but nothing in between the others - was going to but then didn't

Next time, maybe try a bit of bc between the cakeboard and the cake that the board is resting on. It sounds like the board and the fondant on the tier below adhered together. This way, the bc is your "glue" for the cake board and the tier below, and they shouldn't meld together. HTH!

kakeladi Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:58pm
post #8 of 11

.......Waxed paper .........

The *ONE and only* time I did this the tiers slid apart in transporticon_sad.gif I would never do it.
Not sure about parchment as I refuse to try paper again.
Dusting the fondant w/powered sugar/cornstarch mix would be my suggestion.
I also like the idea of using a good dab of b'cream to help hold the tiers together but allow taking apart.

cloetzu Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 11

ah yes good point - about the sliding... if I put a dowel down all cakes that should help with that but if not will go with buttercream!

thanks again!!

cloetzu Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 11

I was finally able to post a picture of the cake here on CC: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-gallery_display_2066959.html

but unfortunately do not have a picture the ugly 'issue' once I tried to unstack them ;(

thanks again for the input!!

LindaF144a Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 11

How long did you let each book sit before you stacked them? And what kind of fondant did you use?

I'm thinking maybe the fondant did not get a chance to air dry a bit before you stacked. And if maybe the fondant had more moisture in it than usual, especially MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%