Bc For Fondant And How Long Can Bc Sit Out?

Baking By proudmama4 Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 3:10pm by proudmama4

proudmama4 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 4

How long can a BC recipe that uses both butter and milk sit out on the counter?

I've only made cakes for cake class, and I'm making my kids 1st birthday cakes this month. How long can BC stay on the counter, because once they're covered w/ the fondant, they can't go in the fridge.

Oh, and what's your favorite BC recipe that can sit out for using under fondant?

Thanks!

3 replies
dmo4ab Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 4

I use IndiDebi's crisco based buttercream. It's in the recipes here on CC. Even though it uses milk, the sugar ratio is high, so it is safe at room temp.

hollyml Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:33am
post #3 of 4

Don't worry, it can sit out on the counter for days. Weeks, probably. icon_smile.gif (In fact, when we do have leftover cake that sits out for a long time, even when the cut cake starts to get moldy or totally dry, the buttercream frosting is absolutely fine.) I don't pretend to really understand the chemistry, but the high sugar content prevents the dairy ingredients from going bad. And I use all butter, because I don't like the taste of shortening-based buttercream.

The only caution about leaving your BC frosted cakes on the counter (I mean, other than physical damage from being bumped or whatever) is if your kitchen gets really hot, the BC can melt. Keep it out of the sunlight from the windows and away from the stove, you know? At normal room temp though, it'll be fine.

Holly

proudmama4 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks ladies! I'll probably keep the AC in the house a little extra cold that night! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%