Totally Gobsmacked!!!!

Decorating By ChilliPepper Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 2:36pm by Kiddiekakes

ChilliPepper Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:00am
post #1 of 4

A very good customer of mine (who acts as an unpaid marketing manager and gets me a lot of customers) told me a few days ago that she had recommended me to a friend of hers who wanted a 5 tier topsy turvy sponge cake. Straight away I said I didn't think I had the experience or the knowledge to produce such a cake but I was then absolutely gob smacked to hear that she had found someone to do it for £110!!!!! I have no idea where she has gone but I do know for a fact that this 'caker' is totally underbudgetting for such an undertaking. My minimum price for a two tier is £75 and I am tackling my first 3 tier wedding cake in August which is going to be £180 (12" fruit cake on bottom tier and a shed full of handmade roses and butterflies).

I really can not understand how this caker has come up with a price of £110 for a 5 tier cake and I'm stunned. My friend said she couldn't believe it either and we are both on tenterhooks waiting to see and taste the finished product!!!!

3 replies
LisaPeps Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:30am
post #2 of 4

That's ridiculous! I'm charging £150 for a two tier topsy turvey in august. This caker obviously has no idea how much work a topsy turvey is. Good look to her!

Davwattie Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 4

I was talking to a friend of mine a while back about kids parties and got on to the massive cake she had for her daughters party last year.

It was a pink princess castle but must of been at least 4 tiers it was huge!

When she said that an old lady had made it for her who just does it as a hobbby and only charged her £25 I nearly fell over icon_eek.gif

I know the lady wasnt doing it to make a profit but the ingrediants and icings would of cost loads more.

Maybe they have found someone whos a hobby caker to do it

Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 4

Well if you ask me..hobby caker or not...they aren't doing any of us decoraters who have businesses any favors..Undercutting hurts everyone!!!This is why it is so difficult to educate the public why a cake is priced at what it is when boneheads like mentioned in this post do cakes for nearly free!! JMO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%