How To Address This Email... Or Not?

Business By GeordieMum Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 6:52am by cake_architect

GeordieMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeordieMum Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:40am
post #1 of 6

Hi Fellow Cakers icon_smile.gif

I'm in need of some advice on how to handle this email I received from a client. She recently contacted me to quote on a cake for her wedding in November. She had sent me a picture of what she wanted (she wanted a direct copy), told me the number of servings, flavours etc and I told her I would get back to her ASAP with a quote.

Two days later I sent her a quote. Then I hear nothing. Ok, no worries. Totally normal for clients not to get back straight away. Today (two weeks later) I sent her a follow up email asking if she was happy with the quote and whether there was anything else I can assist with. To please let me know if she required any further quotes or information to help her with her decision.

She replys, thanking me for my quote but telling me she is still shopping around for cheaper quotes. Not a problem I think! I would probably do the same thing if I was the bride, you do your leg work to think you're getting the best possible deal.... But should I now respond to her email? Hubby thinks I should send something - perhaps asking if I can do her up another quote, with a simpler design...? Really not sure on what my next move is, would love to hear from more experienced businesswomen (and men) as to what you do in this situation. Do you offer to re-quote, a simpler design for a cheaper price, or do you leave it alone and let them come back to you if they don't find something cheaper (I know my prices are on par with other shops and decorators... but I guess there is always someone who will do it cheaper.

Would love to know your thoughts...?

Thanks in advance,
Geordie x

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:55am
post #2 of 6

I might send one along the lines of:

"It's great to see a bride who is doing some good comparison shopping! As you do your pricing research and start to find it may be difficult to get a cake inside your budget, I would be more than happy to work with you to alter the design a bit and come up with a cake of your dreams that will still fit inside your budget. If you can let me know what kind of budget number you'd like to keep this under, I'll see what we can work up. Just let me know how I can help!"

No pressure ... no big sales pitch .... sounds inclusive i.e. working WITH the bride to get what SHE wants) ...... a simple and genuine offer to help her with her big day.

If she is doing this much research, it will most likely turn into a good education for her. No idea how big the span is between her expected price-to-pay and what she's finding she's going to have-to-pay but I bet it's "interesting" to say the least! icon_rolleyes.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:19am
post #3 of 6

I've stopped sending custom quotes via email because I never hear from people again.

I do have a pricing guide on my site so they can do the math themselves. Anything specific, based on a design or photo, they need to come in for an appointment, or a phone consult.

If they book an appointment, I already know they are prepared to spend money on their cake because they looked at the pricing guide on my site.

This is cut down on the "email tennis" which is not a game that I can say I've ever won with someone that just wants a "cheap cake".

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:31am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

I've stopped sending custom quotes via email because I never hear from people again.

I do have a pricing guide on my site so they can do the math themselves. Anything specific, based on a design or photo, they need to come in for an appointment, or a phone consult.

If they book an appointment, I already know they are prepared to spend money on their cake because they looked at the pricing guide on my site.

This is cut down on the "email tennis" which is not a game that I can say I've ever won with someone that just wants a "cheap cake".

thumbs_up.gif LOL email tennis! Love it.

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:06am
post #5 of 6

I try to stay away from email quotes too. What I might do is send her an email setting up a consult. Something along the lines of:
Would you like to come in for a consultation? They're free of charge, and will give us the opportunity to go over all the factors that go into cakes. So many things can affect the price of a cake, and by sitting down with you, I'll be better able to understand exactly what you're looking for.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:52am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I might send one along the lines of:

"It's great to see a bride who is doing some good comparison shopping! As you do your pricing research and start to find it may be difficult to get a cake inside your budget, I would be more than happy to work with you to alter the design a bit and come up with a cake of your dreams that will still fit inside your budget. If you can let me know what kind of budget number you'd like to keep this under, I'll see what we can work up. Just let me know how I can help!"

i think indydebi said it best! thats a perfect response icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%