Aging A Fruit Cake.

Baking By caroll Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 10:47am by caroll

caroll Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:16am
post #1 of 8

Can any one tell me if it's possible to age a fruit cake whilst in the fridge? I live in a hot area.

7 replies
irishmolly Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:36am
post #2 of 8

Hi Caroll.
If you put the cake ( wrapped very well) into a freezer overnight it speeds up the ageing process. I presume you have added some alcohol to the cake already, brandy,rum,whiskey,sherry either on their own or a mixture of them. A fruit cake is mature after 6 weeks in a cooler climate, kept at room temperature, but in your case you probably need to use it faster so go with the first suggestion if you can. Happy baking!!

Cakechick123 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:07am
post #3 of 8

I dont age my cakes in the fridge. Just wrap it well and keep it in a cool spot (out od the sun)
pour some brandy over it ever few weeks or so.

ChilliPepper Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:52am
post #4 of 8

Well freezing fruit cake to age it is a new one on me! I just make them about 6 months before required if I can (orders permitting that obviously), feed with brandy every month and keep them well wrapped in double greaseproof paper and double tin foil or airtight tin. When did freezing become the thing to do???

CP x

Shamitha Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:54am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakechick123

I dont age my cakes in the fridge. Just wrap it well and keep it in a cool spot (out od the sun)
pour some brandy over it ever few weeks or so.

That's exactly how I do mine. icon_smile.gif

Relznik Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:24am
post #6 of 8

I've heard about freezing a fruit cake to help speed up the maturing process. However, someone I know did an experiment and there was no difference.

However, I wouldn't keep a cake in an airtight tin (or airtight anything) to mature... just wrapped as described is fine. It's more likely to 'sweat' if kept airtight.

irishmolly Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 8

Freezing the cake overnight was suggested to me by other very experienced bakers but I haven't needed to try it myself. I make fruit cakes at least 12 weeks in advance of their being needed. I soak the fruit in alcohol beforehand and then put on extra alcohol when the cake has cooled down using a hypodermic syringe to prevent any mould getting into the cake. I leave the cake in the original wrappers, then overwrap with greaseproof paper and then tinfoil. I don't 'feed' it with any more alcohol. And someone else is correct saying to never put it in a tin as it will 'sweat' and may go mouldy.

caroll Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 10:47am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the advice. I had wrapped them in cling wrap and was wondering if i can put them in the refridgerator just to keep them cool as it is very hot this side?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%