Baseball Hat

Decorating By Alycat613 Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 4:33am by Alycat613

Alycat613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycat613 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:40am
post #1 of 6

I want to make my husband a baseball hate cake for his b-day. How exactly do you make it? Is it carved by hand or do you use half of the "ball" cake pan. I do not have one and have never used one, but I didn't know if this would be the easiest. For the brim do you just mold the fondant and support it until it dries? Thanks for any help!

5 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 5:05am
post #2 of 6

Sounds to me like you already got the idea. The ball cake mold will be the easiest and they come in 2 sizes. If you need to feed a larger crowd add a single round layer to the bottom of cake. Yes, use fondant to form your brim and support it.

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 5:30am
post #3 of 6

you can also make brim using gumpaste and or half gp and half fondant, I usually add tylose.hth

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 5:57am
post #4 of 6

I am making a ball cap cake this weekend! I've already baked the cakes and they're in the freezer. I used a stainless steel bowl and one 8" round. They actually fit on top of each other pretty nicely so I don't have to carve anything. The filling will be between the round and the flat cake.
Because it's a bowl it has a flat bottom so I'll round that off either with icing or smooshed cake trimmings. I've done a soccer ball and a teapot using the stainless bowl method and it works great. (in my photos) I bought a ball pan but it was very small.
I'm planning on cutting the brim out of gum paste tomorrow and let it dry. I made a template for the brim off of one of my husband's hats. I'm doing a flat brim hat so I don't need to shape it, but if I did, I'd use a bit of rolled paper towel to prop it up a bit. I like to use gum paste for this kind of thing because it dries faster. I'm not going to cover mine with fondant so I will use colored icing. To make sure it matches with the brim I plan to paint the cake and the brim with a final thin coat of gel color mixed with vodka. (I only add colored buttercream to my last layer of frosting so it's thin and there won't be purple teeth and a bitter taste to my frosting). HTH!
Oh..I forgot...the best stitching tool I plan to use on the hat is actually found in the sewing notions department of any dept. store. It's the little metal wheel that you are supposed to mark patterns with. I used that Wilton thing and it was crap. I actually had the sewing one and have practiced with it and it looks awesome! Again, HTH! thumbs_up.gif

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:23am
post #5 of 6

I just posted one I made yesterday in my photos. I used the wonder mold pan and cut about 1.5 inches off the bottom. I carved some pieces away to make indentations like a hat has. For the brim I used gumpaste. I traced the brim of the actual hat with wax paper to make a template. Once the gumpaset was cut I covered the hat brim with saran wrap and laid the gumpaste on it to dry.

Alycat613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycat613 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:33am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much everyone for the great ideas. I have till August to make the cake, but wanted to get all my ducks in a row! I can't wait to work on it and see my husband's face. Thank you again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%