How Do I Turn Baseball Bats Into Columns?

Decorating By let-them-eat-cupcakes Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 7:47am by hollyml

let-them-eat-cupcakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:17am
post #1 of 2

Hello fellow bakers!!!

I am very new to cake decorating for the public but I have had a cousin ask me to make the fallowing cake:

I am wondering if there is a way to made the baseball bat still support the cake without having to use the white plastic disk? Would attaching dowels to the ends of the bat sections that enter the cake support the weight? I know I must have support under the layers but I am trying to get input on how to make the wooden bat support the cake without placing support on top of the tiers.

Also about how much space can you have between your tiers and your cake still be stable?

I will be using the fallowing: 18" wooden bats (cut into sections), 12" bottom tier & 8" top tier. I would love to only have two tier (brides request) but she is flexible to 3 tiers if needed(would be a 6" tier if needed)

Please any input on how to make this cake would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

1 reply
hollyml Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:47am
post #2 of 2

I think you could attach dowels, yes, but fasten the dowels at both ends -- you can't just stick them into the cake like you would for stacking tiers. And I'd use larger dowels than usual. Drill a hole into the lower end of each bat section so you can insert the dowel and glue it in place. Then screw the plate that goes underneath the bottom tier onto the ends of the dowels. Put screws through the plate supporting the top tier, also, into the top end of the bat sections, so that the bat sections won't wobble or break off from the dowels. It's like building a small table. icon_smile.gif

The challenge here is getting the cake in place once you have constructed the "table" support. Use a cardboard cake round with holes pre-cut into it that match the dowel placement. After the bottom tier is decorated, stick a skewer up through the bottom of the cake through each hole in the cake board, to mark the right place, and then use straws or whatever you have that's the right size to "core" through the cake from above in the right spot. Then place the cake on the wooden base, matching the holes in the cake to the screw holes in the base. The last step takes two people, one to hold the cake and the other to handle the screwdriver. Insert the bat/dowel assembly into the holes from the top, lift the cake (or hold it half on and half off of a table) so you can get underneath and put the screws in from the bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%