S'mores Cupcakes Without A Blowtorch?

Baking By JGMB Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 3:52am by JGMB

JGMB Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:26am
post #1 of 8

I've been asked to do S'mores Cupcakes -- something new for me. I found a recipe which sounds great, but it calls for a kitchen torch. I don't have one, so could I possibly just put the pan of cupcakes under the broiler for a minute, or would the paper liners catch on fire? TIA!!

7 replies
caymancake Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:41am
post #2 of 8

I put mine under the broiler and worked fine, I used the foil liners though...you can see an example in my photos to give you an idea of how they came out. Hope that helps! Good luck!

JGMB Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:29am
post #3 of 8

Thanks, Caymancake! Yours look yummy, so I'll give it a try. The foil cups make a lot of sense . . . why didn't I think of that? icon_redface.gif

n_jean Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 8

I have a different smore's cupcake recipe that was AMAZING!! Truly, my hubby ate 18 in about 12 hours!

It was a gramm cracker cupcake, marshmallow filling, topped with a chocolate ganache topped with some crumbled gramm crackers.

Just an idea, then you dont have to worry about a torch. That being said, those torches are only about $30-40 and it is on the top of my wish list!!

JGMB Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks, n_jean! When I do my practice run, if the broiler doesn't work, I'll try your idea next. icon_razz.gif

MollyHammond Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:21am
post #6 of 8

Just a thought. Make sure your icing does not contain butter or you will have a gooey mess under the broiler. Don't ask me how I know. icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:35am
post #7 of 8

Mine didn't work under the broiler. It melted and didn't brown at all. My crazy husband with his blow torch didn't work either as it doesn't get as hot as the culinary torches.

JGMB Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:52am
post #8 of 8

Well, I'm happy to report that it worked!!! I was able to brown them under the broiler without setting off the smoke alarm. icon_wink.gif In fact, I think I chickened out and pulled them a little too soon -- I could've let them get a little darker. I'd never eaten one before, and they're delicious!!! Here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2069859

Quote by @%username% on %date%