How To Put Lace On Buttercream Using A Stencil?

Decorating By klkoop Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 6:13pm by cakesmart

klkoop Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 4

Looking for suggestions on how to put a lace design to match an invitation on buttercream icing. I was thinking of putting the cake in the freezer to get the icing hard, then putting the stencil on and painting icing over top but I have no idea if that would actually work. Help please!

3 replies
sewsweet2 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 1:37am
post #2 of 4

I have stenciled buttercream on buttercream. I use a crusting buttercream and allow it to crust well. I then stencil using slightly thinned (not too thin or it will seep under the stencil) on the crusted buttercream. If the pattern needs to be continued, I allow the stenciled part to completely crust over night then stencil again butting up the design. Be sure to clean off the stencil well after you stencil a section of the cake.

Here is an example of one I did:

Oh, yes, I forgot to add that a prayer before you start doesn't hurt either. :O)

VentureSister Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 1:57am
post #3 of 4

Definitely use a crusting buttercream and let it fully crust before you stencil. I recommend having someone else hold the stencil in place while you apply the buttercream. Much easier that way.

cakesmart Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 4

I saw a trick posted by Sharon Zambito...

I taped a piece of card stock to the bottom of the stencil to boost it up to the exact height I needed it to be. That way I did not have to try to hold it in place freehand while stenciling, and run the risk of the stencil moving while I worked. Here's the link:

Quote by @%username% on %date%