How Much Would You Charge

Decorating By cats242 Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 12:31am by cats242

cats242 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 4

About how much would you charge for a 1/2 sheet (half white, half choc) all BC with a few little fondant accents and half a baseball (using wilton sports ball pan) on it. Thanks for all imput!

3 replies
pegcolli Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 4

I charge $40 for half sheet but I don't do two flavors together...one solid flavor unless they want two layers.

jason_kraft Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 4

You should charge your cost + 20-30% (that's your profit margin). Your cost is the sum of the ingredients used in the cake, the labor cost (# of hours spent making the cake * your hourly wage), and overhead on a per-order basis (i.e. insurance, license fees, etc.).

Not sure if you're making the cake from your home kitchen, but if you are you can only legally charge $0 for the cake since Florida's Cottage Food Law has not yet been passed.

As a point of reference, we would charge about $160 for that cake (we are located in northern CA and must bake out of a rented commercial kitchen, since CA also does not have a cottage food law). A regular half sheet would be about $120 but there is a premium for splitting flavors and the fondant decorations.

cats242 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 12:31am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the imput. Oh, and I'm actually not in FL anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%