How To Store Fondant Figures And Flowers?

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 9:39pm by Emmar308

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 4

I am making some cupcakes for Wednesday that are bug themed. They will be decorated with fondant bugs and fondant flowers that have tylose added to it so the flowers hold their shape. My question is, how do I store the bugs and flowers until I'm ready to decorate the cupcakes with them on Tuesday night? I've never been certain on whether or not fondant toppers are soft or if you are supposed to expose them to air to let them harden, and then if they are meant to be eaten? Everyone on here is always so helpful, and I look forward to your responses. Thank you!

3 replies
angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 4

i always ask the customer if they plan to eat the decorations. that will determine how i store them. if they dont eat them, i keep them in the fridge. if they plan to eat them, i store them in an airtight container.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 4

I put any premade stuff in the cake box. If you are doing just straight fondant, they will harden some in the next two days, but not so much they are super hard, and not edible.

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 4

Don't put decorations with tylose in an airtight container as they will soften and wilt due to any residual moisture in the fondant. Best way to store is to place them in a cardboard box, so they can continue to dry out whilst protected from dust etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%