Advice For Cake I Am Making Thursday. Please Help.

Baking By vaniroel Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 5:47am by Marianna46

vaniroel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vaniroel Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 4

Hello Everyone,

I just got an order from a co-worker for a Minnie Mouse Cake for her daughter's birthday on Saturday. She wants a chocolate cake with Strawberry Buttercream. I am leaving on vacation Saturday morning so I am making the cake on Thursday night and bringing it to her on Friday.

With that said, I am making BW's Chocolate WASC with Chocolate Chips added (recipe below) and want to know if you think I should brush a simple syrup of 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water on top of the cake to keep it moist for Saturday. What do you think?

Also, her party is outside, but she says she is leaving the cake inside until it is time to cut. (We are in Dallas, Texas and it will be 98 degrees outside)

I want to use Martha Stewart's Strawberry SMBC which is my go to recipe. I know it stays fine at room temp, but can she refrigerate the finished cake with no problems or will the SMBC start to separate on the cake?

Please let me know your experinces with these and your advice. Thank you.

Bunny's Chocolate Sour Cream Cake (BCSC)
  2 boxes chocolate fudge (or Devil's Food) cake mix
  2 cups all-purpose flour
  2 cups granulated sugar
  1 ½ tsp salt
  2 2/3 cups water
  1 cup canola oil
  1 Tbsp real vanilla
  2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
  3/4 cup cocoa powder (I use Hershey's cocoa.)
  6 large eggs

Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on a low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees until cake tests done.

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:46am
post #2 of 4

I don't know anything about refrigerating SMBC, but WASC cakes, with all that cream and oil, are very moist, so I wouldn't put syrup on one - it would probably be too much.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:00am
post #3 of 4

I would fridge the cake in this way: Put the cake in the box, Wrap the ENTIRE box well with cling wrap. Party day: Bring the cake out onto the counter 1-2 hours before the party and LEAVE IT WRAPPED while it comes to room temp. Keeping it wrapped will allow the condensation to build up more on the cling wrap, keeping your decorated cake mostly dry. This also helps the cake from drying out as fast in the fridge as well!

WASC style cakes with box mixes do NOT need syrups. Box cakes have additives and preservatives that help them to stay moist much longer than scratch cakes!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:47am
post #4 of 4

I make scratch WASC cakes, and they don't need syrup, either! In fact, to me they seem to be a little too moist!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%