How To Build An Airplane Structure To Stand On Wheels????

Decorating By FeGe_Cakes Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 7:42pm by FeGe_Cakes

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all,

I recently was asked if could build two airplane cakes on a runway for a man's 80th birthday. The planes will be 757. The customer wanted them facing each other on a runway. I really want to put the cake on some type of support system with the wheels underneath. But I have not had any luck finding any information. If someone has done this, could you please share any ideas. Or sketches. I am not a carpenter but could figure it out or get some help. The cakes would be about 18 inches long for each plane is my initial thoughts.

Thanks so much!

3 replies
SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 4

I'm actually in the middle of planning an airplane cake right now myself, and I also want it to sit up on wheels. The problem, particularly with a 757, is the main wheels are in the wings, not the body of the plane. Not to mention on that model the wings are fairly close to the middle, so you will have a very tail heavy plane.

So far my plan is this (and I'm doing a fighter jet, so it's a bit different). Make a template of the plane shape out of plywood and a skill saw as if you were looking down on top of the plane. Include the wings. I was planning on using clear acrylic rods for support on the bottom of the wing tips and tail of the plane. The other 3 supports would be wooden dowels where the wheels go. Obviously they will have to be decently thick to support any weight, and therefore not proportional to the rest of the plane body. So you can either continue to use an acrylic nearby and just make the wheels for looks. This is all going to have to be screwed to a nice thick wooden cake board. Remember, the higher you go, the more precarious it could be. I would recommend no more than 2" above the cake or board surface.

I was planning on using foamboard and fondant/modeling chocolate to shape the wings. RKT just seems like it would be too difficult for there. The main body I planned on carving cake for. I wanted to use RKT underneath to round out the body. And then the vertical tail portion would also be foamcore.

I know there's a lot more I have to figure out still, but I've got a month to plan still. Hope this gives you some direction! If anyone else has something better, I sure would love to hear it!!

FeGe_Cakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much for your reply. I was thinking about RKT for the wings but might be too much stress to worry about the weight. The person wanted the cake on June 25th. I haven't agreed yet, but wanted to get my ideas down and some research completed before agreeing.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 4

Actually I need a 747. But the concept should be the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%