Batter For Fondant Covered Cakes

Baking By churri Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 5:50am by Marianna46

churri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
churri Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm starting in this fabulous fondant decorating world. When making the cake from scratch, I have used (and works awsome) the mud cake recipe, as it is dense but moist, but sometimes I don't want to use a chocolate cake, could anyone recomend a great vainilla o else recipe that is dense and moist, one that when carving the cake, does not fall too many crumbles? I'd love an answer, than you so much

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:51am
post #2 of 4

Any of the 1-2-3-4 cakes would do very well. These are a variation on a pound cake that uses 1 cup of butter, 2 cups of sugar, 3 cups of flour and 4 eggs, plus some liquid and some leavening - it's a general class of recipe, so there's more than just one. In fact, any pound cake does very well, and there are hundreds of pound cake variations, but I've also read here that basically any kind of cake can be covered in fondant except those that have beaten egg whites folded into the batter, like angel food, chiffons or sponges. So go to town with whatever suits your fancy! And welcome, both to the world of fondant and to Cake Central!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:07am
post #3 of 4

I personally love using the WASC method. It starts with box mix, add extra sugar, flour, salt, water, oil, flavor, eggs and sour cream (or yougurt!) throw it all into a mixer and ta da! yummy stable cake great for stacking and decorating because it stays moist for days! I want sooo bad to try and find a scratch recipe for my vanilla cake because its the only cake I use the box mix for, but its my best seller!! Gotta make what the masses ask for, and the people demand boxed cake LOL! But really, its a decorator's dream cake!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:50am
post #4 of 4

Wow, I forgot all about WASCs, ConfectionsCC! They hold up really well, too, and the varieties are endless.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%