Orange Creamsicle Cake Help

Baking By jamc100 Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 4:53pm by jamc100

jamc100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamc100 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

I need help finding an Orange Creamsicle cake recipe. I've tried a few over the years and none are quite what I want. I've tried ones with orange sherbet or juice in the them, and they never taste quite right due to the tartness in these ingredients. Then I tried doctoring an orange flavored cake mix. Yuck! The orange flavor was so artificial tasting.

So here's what I want: I want the base made from cake mix. I need to doctor it with ingredients that don't taste artificial, but are strong enough you can actually taste the orange flavor. I was thinking maybe using a LorAnn orange flavored oil and/or using orange zest. Has anyone used the Orange LorAnn oil and can tell me whether it tastes good or not. I've found that they also have a orange cream flavor, and wonder if that tastes any good as well.

4 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 5

i'm curious too!

thebrat68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebrat68 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 5

I use lorann orange bakery emulsion. Love it.

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

Macsmom has a link at the bottom under her signature for the Gourmet Flavors Google document. There orange dreamcicle recipe on there is wonderful - I just made it AGAIN yesterday. It uses a white cake mix, melted orange sherbert, a little orange soda, orange extract and some other stuff. Look for her under the member list and get the link to the document. it is a wealth of flavor ideas and recipes!

This cake goes extremely well with the white choclate truffle frosting too!!

HTH

jamc100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamc100 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 5

I've used Macsmom's Orange Dreamsicle recipe, it's not for me. I want something that doesn't have orange sherbet or orange juice OR orange soda, because I don't like the tartness it imparts into the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%