Cake Fell Apart At Venue

Decorating By Dawanka Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 4:59am by sweettreat101

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 14

I had a cake ordered for pick up so at 10:30am they got a fully stable cake then at 12:30 (while I was at church) I get a message saying the cake was falling apart i was a mess. There was nothing I could do both my parents say the cake before it left and they said they think the person left it in the car. I can't understand what happened and she never sent pics which I asked for. My mom say's to give her, her money back.

13 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 14

Did you have her sign a waiver when the cake was picked up stating "once the cake is picked up it is no longer my responsibility"?

Did you take pictures of the cake before pick up?

If you said "yes" to any of the above questions then I would not refund the money. Especially if she never sends you pictures of the cake falling apart; how do you know she is even telling the truth?

Dawanka Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 14

I have pics of the cake completely in tact from before it left the house. I really do need to do a waiver but this was my first probelm. I've delivered tiered cakes all the time w/o issues. I did a 5 tiered wedding cake and it sat for 3 hours outside in the summer w/o a problem.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 14

I wouldn't even consider a refund (partial or full) without receiving pictures from her first. Also, use a waiver in the future. You've got to CYA for people doing stupid things with their cakes.

Dawanka Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you both for your imput, I wasn't sure about returning the money, my mom though I should my boyfriend says the same thing you both do. I will definitely do a waiver next time. icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 14

there is just sooo much that can happen with a stacked cake...i RARELY send it with the customer, normally take it to them.

In this case, it sounds like you didn't actually give the cake to them personally, correct? you said you were at church.

did you have written instructions given to them? do you know if your parents actually conveyed all the information possible to the customer?

I know a lot of people don't know or understand how to take care of a stacked cake, but without signing a waiver and without knowing if the information on taking care of the cake was conveyed correctly...you're kinda in a tough spot. did you ask the customer what they wanted?

Dawanka Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 14

I was there when they picked it up and gave them explicit instructions they arrived in a pick up truck I told her she had to drive very carefully not quick stops and not fast turns. I had already transported it to a closer location for her to even pick it up. She was only driving it a few miles away. I was at church when she messaged me (2 hours later) that it was falling apart of which I still am unsure of what she meant b/c she wouldn't send pictures.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 14

ahhhh, more info was needed! no pictures, no help or a refund!
is she asking for a refund?

sounds like a bad case of "opps, i drove like crap and now the cake is messed up!"

Dawanka Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 14

No she didn't ask for a refund, my mom suggested it just b/c someone close to my fam referred her to me and thought it would be good to do so. Both my parents think she left the cake in her car even though I told her she needed to keep it cold b/c it was cream cheese frosting as the filling.

maymay0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maymay0829 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 14

I had this happen to me a few weeks ago, her sister picked up the cake and called 2hrs later to advice the cake was falling apart. I offered a $50.00 refund because i felt bad the client did not receive the cake intact. The sister just ordered a cake for herself!

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawanka

No she didn't ask for a refund, my mom suggested it just b/c someone close to my fam referred her to me and thought it would be good to do so. Both my parents think she left the cake in her car even though I told her she needed to keep it cold b/c it was cream cheese frosting as the filling.

If she left it in her car, it's her fault it fell apart. No refund. Like someone here said " it's your fault she screwed up"? Don't think so. If you mom thinks it's a good idea to refund her money, then let your mom refund her money.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 14

You don't know for sure that she left it in the car, that's just speculation at this point. Have you considered that perhaps they drove very carefully, kept the cake cold, did all the right things and it STILL fell apart? - these things DO sometimes happen!

I would politely repeat the request for photos, which may give a better idea of what may/may not have happened...if they don't come up with any photos at all then I'd be wondering if it's just them trying to scam a refund.

Acentrix04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acentrix04 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:48am
post #13 of 14

So, what if your part of the wedding party and the cake falls at the venue? What do you do then? Should I still ask my friend to sign a waiver?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:59am
post #14 of 14

When someone picks up a cake I politely let them know that it is no longer my responsibility when it leaves. You don't know how they were driving if they tried to hold it in their lap all the way to the venue. And they could have left it in the car. My mother did this to me last summer. It was my brothers wedding over 100 degrees outside and she picked up the cake so I could get ready and left it in the car. I told her that the cake had to be kept cold or the butter cream would melt.

I arrived to the venue to find bubbles forming on the cake I was terrified. I smoothed them as good as I could and they kept coming back. The room was to warm. I ended up leaving before the cake cutting because I kept staring at the cake. My brother and his wife didn't notice but I did.

People just don't listen even if you tell them this is what you have to do. Never know someone could have bumped the table. I would say no pictures no refund. If she insists I would deduct the amount for supplies but only after seeing pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%