Give/receive Help Pricing Cakes

Decorating By AmbitiousBeginner Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 4:26pm by TexasSugar

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 2

HI everyone

It seems that there are a lot of threads with individuals asking for help on pricing cakes.

There is also a thread "cake pics with prices" where people post pics of their cakes with the prices they charged. On this thread there have also been posts with requests for pricing help but it seems that they mostly go unanswered (maybe people send private messages instead, i don't know). I think this thread was a great idea. I like being able to reference it.

But I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread that was specifically for asking others for their thoughts on pricing ones own cakes. Of course, it will only work if people not only post questions, but if others also provide feedback. It's worth a try.

So I'll start.

Here's my first cake using PVC. It's not professional looking and I'm a beginner. I'm asking for curiosity's sake, not b/c I'll actually be selling cakes soon.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/user/AmbitiousBeginner

Replies welcome, and additional posts encouraged!

1 reply
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 2

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

The problem with telling someone what to price their cake as is that it varies greatly. There is no one price for cakes. The ingredients you use could be more expensive than the ones used by someone else that can buy in bulk. Or someone else can use more expensive higher quality ingredients than someone else. If you just bake from a cake mix, or from a doctored cake mix, or a scratch recipe there is going to be different costs involved.

Some areas can ask for a higher costs, such as larger cities because the cost of living is higher.

There are way too many things to factor in that there that one person really can't just give another a price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%