Worn Out Leather Look

Decorating By RetiredNavyChief Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 3:47pm by RetiredNavyChief

RetiredNavyChief Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone know how to get a worn out leather look? Im doing a old book cake.

4 replies
MBoyd Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 5

I would start with a light brown fondant (if you want your leather to be brown) and actually let it dry out a bit. The idea is to actually TRY to get the fondant to do the elephant skin thing. Cover your book as usual, but don't smooth the fondant too much. Then I'd come back with some thinned down gel color and use it like a stain, building it up in some areas and leaving less color in the areas that you want to look "worn"

langranny Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 5

If you want a crushed leather look, crush up some aluminum foil and press if over the fondant. Then use the gel color to brush over it.

karabeal Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 12:15am
post #4 of 5

I made brown "fondant leather" for the sorting hat cake in my pics. I tried to get the elephant skin in order to enhance the look and that worked in some places. I dusted all the fondant liberally with cocoa powder and even rubbed some shortening on some spots to get the "leather" to have a slightly darker shade in some areas (the elephant skin portions had gotten lighter). You might find success with some of the same techniques. Good luck.

RetiredNavyChief Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 5

thanks, I will give all of the advice a try. I really love that hat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%