Smooth Buttercream In Humid Weather

Decorating By CraveBakery Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 1:55pm by Smokey5266

CraveBakery Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 3

ok, so I'm sure this question has been asked, but I've just spent an hour looking around, for a buttercream recipe that I can get smooth (crust) and hold up to humidity and my fondant accents. Is it possible to have such a buttercream that doesn't use shortening? I do mainly buttercream cakes because fondant is not popular here. I need some help!!!

2 replies
poohsmomma Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 3

I absolutely LOVE Indydebi's bc. It does have shortening in it, but it is yummy. It holds up to heat and humidity very well.

Smokey5266 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 3

I recently tried this recipe from gourmetcakes and loved it. Let it crust for 30 minutes.

1 cup salted sweet cream butter, softened (2 sticks)
1 cup Crisco All Vegetable Shortening
2 t. clear vanilla extract
2 lbs. (8 cups) sifted powdered sugar, divided
1 T. Meringue Powder
4 T. heavy whipping cream, divided

Cream butter and shortening, add vanilla, cream until smooth. Add Meringue Powder to powdered sugar. Add half of the powdered sugar, beating well on medium speed until blended (keep bowl covered with damp towel while beating to keep powdered sugar in bowl). Add half of the heavy whipping cream, mixing until blended. Add remaining powdered sugar and remaining heavy whipping cream. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.

Cover with damp cloth until ready to use. Keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Can be refrigerated for 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

When icing a cake, allow to crust over for at least 30 minutes.

Makes 6 cups.

Quote by @%username% on %date%