Is It Wrong To Be Glad Her Wedding Cake Sucked?

Decorating By mombabytiger Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 7:33pm by AnotherCaker

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 20

A couple of friends recommended to a bride-to-be that I do her wedding cake. I also know the bride's family. They called, I came to their house with 4 different samples, did a gorgeous design, etc. Figured this was a done deal. But no! They chose another well-known baker in our area.

However, I did her shower cake and her bridal luncheon cake - both were raved over. (Ordered by other people - not bride). I got several orders from those cakes.

Wedding was Saturday. Friends went and said the wedding cake was the talk of the evening because it was so horrible. (They aren't the kind of friends who would tell me this to make me feel better).

My first reaction was "Good!" And now I'm ashamed of myself. Could I have absolution, please?

19 replies
rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 20

LOL! You are absloved. Thanks for the laugh.

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 20

Completely normal response. Business is business.

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 20

I think your feeling is natural ... no need to feel bad! I would probably have the first initial thought! lol ...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 20

big LOL at this end! icon_lol.gif

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 20

Absolution granted! icon_smile.gif

oh, hey Tiffany - you and I are "neighbors"! thumbs_up.gif I live in Ephrata!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 20

Been there. Done that. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 20

Just wanted to add that the only thing that would make this an even BETTER story is to hear that some of the guests asked the bride, "Why didn't you get your cake from the lady who did your shower cake? Now THAT was a GOOD one!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 20

Very petty. But also very human.

I think 5 whacks on your knuckles with an off-set spatula by Kerry Vincent should completely absolve you.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

I think 5 whacks on your knuckles with an off-set spatula by Kerry Vincent should completely absolve you.

rofl!!!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 20

LOL@Wykd's response. Good one!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 20

Ok, somebody better get the Holy water and pour it on me, I confess, I have had a few of these events happen to me and felt the same way. Ooooh, I feel better now(LOL).

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

That's a funny joke! icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 20

..........5 whacks on your knuckles with an off-set spatula by Kerry Vincent should completely absolve you.............

OH! I love, Love LOVE this!!
Anyone know Kerry well enough to arrange it???? LOL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:42pm
post #15 of 20

::fist pump::

I'd be smiling inside. And outside too, frankly.

Soo, a couple fo yeas ago I had a bride want the "ribbon cake." You've seen it - shades of pinks (the Knot shows it in greens) usually with 1" fondant ribbons round and round completely covering the cake. Well, Ms. bride insisted that it not be done in fondant because she didn't want to pay for it. She'd found somewhere in town that agreed to do it in buttercream. I refused the order.

Two weeks after the reception I delivered a cake to the venue where Ms. Ribbon Cake has been. The caterers were still laughing about it. And talking about it.

The delivery person was not the baker. Carried the cake in at an angle and smushed the icing onto her front. When she leaned over the top of the cake, her glasses fell off her head onto the top of the cake. The baker had only sent 1 small bag of one color of icing for "repairs." The caterers said the cake was a hot mess. Worst they'd ever seen.

I still chuckle to this day.

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:26pm
post #16 of 20

Did you ever find out why she did not use you for her cake? Regardless of the reason she will live and learn. I bet someone had to have mentioned the previous cakes and why she did not use you this time.
Good publicity on who not to use for the guests. lol

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:45pm
post #17 of 20

They never said and I never asked, but the cake was done by the person doing all the catering and I suspect a deal was struck.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 7:10pm
post #18 of 20

I get to admire lost jobs often actually. I have yet to regret losing out on any of them, as the customer either got what they paid for, or I was available for an even better job!

Amberwaves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberwaves Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 7:18pm
post #19 of 20

I am totally with you on this one...I just lost a nice 4 tiered wedding cake order because the mother of the bride insisted that the person catering also had to do the cake. The caterer she picked is someone whose work I am familiar with and she knows nothing about cakes (the caterer told me that in person)

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 7:33pm
post #20 of 20

I lost one a couple of months ago...10 minutes after they left my place after paying for the cake. Yep. The bride was planning a small shotgun type wedding, courthouse wedding, and maybe 8 people total at her home "reception". We discussed numerous times beforehand and while they were there signing the order form that this was a LITTLE cake. It was to be a 4/7 round setup and was discussed even to the point of showing them literally how big it would be. I happened to have a little cake drum sitting nearby that I showed them the size it would sit on. Yeah yeah, we don't need much, we don't even have many people coming. Ok, great.

10 minutes later my phone starts BLOWING up from the bride and her mom. "We can't have such a small cake, it's still a wedding for Christ's sake, that won't look like a WEDDING cake, we had no idea it would be that small" Uh, yeah, we talked about it no less than 50 times! "Well that's just silly" the mom says, "I have done cakes myself and a 4" round is too small for this". I offered a larger cake at a larger price naturally, and they balked. It was really the mom, the bride I think was perfectly happy with it, but mom was probably throwing the fit. They asked to cancel, and I GLADLY obliged.

Can you imagine dealing with that AFTER delivery? Ai yi....hell no.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%