Help! Need Ideas And Tips On A Malibu Rum Bottle Cake

Decorating By ScrumdidlyCakes Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 2:13pm by ScrumdidlyCakes

ScrumdidlyCakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:11am
post #1 of 4

First off I want to say I absolutely love this website and wouldn't know what I would do without it! Thank you! I've been decorating for only a year or so part time so I'm no pro yet. I got a cake order for a 1/2 sheet cake with a malibu rum bottle on top. I haven't really worked with fondant. It is very intimidating! But I really want to try it. I wasn't sure if I should carve(another thing that I haven't done) the bottle then.cover in fonda or to use a wine bottle shaped chocolate mold. Also, should I find the malibu rum bottle logo and use edible image printer or freehand it on the bottle? I've become pretty good at fbct but don't think that would work since it will be going on a round bottle instead of a flat sheet cake. Any help I could get.would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

3 replies
CakeCrystal5308 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 4

Fondant is not terribly hard to work with, just need a soft hand. You could make a wine bottle shape from rice krispy treat and cover it in chocolate (once dry, use your hands to melt it slightly to smooth), you may have to put more than one coat of chocolate on.
Then you can cover it in fondant.
Depending on your artistic freehand skills, you could "paint" the logo right on to the fondant. (using food coloring) you might be able to do a FBCT and just freeze it on something shaped like the bottle (however I would do a test run first (make something,freeze it into shape, the bring out and let sit out in that shape and see if anything happens that you don't want happening (i.e. melting, colors running together etc)
You could buy a mold and use all chocolate too... just depends on what you wana do.... HTH

YellowBrickRd Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:30am
post #3 of 4

icon_smile.gif I do alot of figures/items with RKT. I've never tried modeling chocolate but would like to try. How will it be positioned on the cake? Upright? Side? I guess that make a difference too.

ScrumdidlyCakes Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for your help! I think I will lay the bottle on top of sheet cake. I will try the rice crispy treats with fondant. Wish me luck lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%