She Stuck Her Finger In It!!

Decorating By CarolinaCakeMom Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm by quietude

CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:30am
post #1 of 15

I made a bottle shaped cake (in my pics) for an event this week-end. It was made to celebrate a 10th anniversary for a spice sauce. I had to drop and run. Spice guy tells me later that my cake was assaulted. So here's my cake, outside at an upscale gourmet shop spice fest, minding it's own business. Along comes a lady who begins to feel it. Guy says, um, that's a cake. "Oh yeah?" Then she pokes it! Yes, she stuck her finger in my cake! What the heck? At least it wasn't a wedding cake.

14 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:42am
post #2 of 15

Can you believe the gull of some people? How rude. I just can't believe that there are people out there that are so stupid. I hate using that word, but sometimes there is no other that best described the audacity of some people. I swear we live in a society that is becoming primarily sociopathic.

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:43am
post #3 of 15

Some people! Guess that what happens if your cake is within reach of idiots. lucky he saw her do it and did not blame you. Wonder if you can charge someone with destruction of property for doing that? Cakes are not cheap.

flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:43am
post #4 of 15

Some people just don't think. They have no idea what goes into one of these creations. That stinks but the cake looked great. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:45am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCakeMom

So here's my cake, outside at an upscale gourmet shop spice fest, minding it's own business. Along comes a lady who begins to feel it. Guy says, um, that's a cake. "Oh yeah?" Then she pokes it! Yes, she stuck her finger in my cake!

Guy to lady: "That will be $500 please."

Lady: "WHAAAAAA????"

Guy: "That's correct, you poke it, you bought it. I cannot resell it now that you have defiled this lovely creation."

Lady slinks off under a rock someplace... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Sorry that happened to you. I've heard horror stories like that before. Some people have NO CLASS whatsoever! icon_confused.gif

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:49am
post #6 of 15

People are un-freaking believable. I had someone actually lick a chocolate sculpture that was on display, just to make sure that it was really chocolate.

CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:01am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbkimber

People are un-freaking believable. I had someone actually lick a chocolate sculpture that was on display, just to make sure that it was really chocolate.

Okay, that's just gross. Luckly, the cake was a gift from me to spice guy and it was towards the end of the day. It was intended to be an attention-getter (hence the huge size). I guess it worked.

cmehend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmehend Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:03am
post #8 of 15

I actually delivered a wedding cake, got it set up and as I was cleaning up, one of the teenage groomsmen comes over and sticks his finger in the icing and licks it off!!!! Can you believe some people. Luckily, I was able to fix it, but I was so upset!

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:15am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbkimber

EEWWWWWW!! I hope you pulled his tongue right out of his head for that!! (I would have!) icon_twisted.gificon_evil.gif

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:01am
post #10 of 15

OMG! I had this very thing happen to me with a few cakes. I have had kids and adults alike to do this. Why can't people look or observe a cake without touching? I would think we out grew that stage of development of having your mouth to help identify things!

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:21am
post #11 of 15

When I do bridal fairs, I actually have signs next to my display cakes "Please do not touch".
People come up close, look at the decorations "Are those roses real?!?" and touch them. Now we all now how fragile gumpaste roses are. I had a couple of incidents where I really needed to hold onto myself not to scream "Idiots" or something even more drastic at these people...

But poking in real cake is even worse! I would have made her eat a huge chunk of the cake where she stuck her finger in!

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 11:26am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by de_montsoreau

When I do bridal fairs, I actually have signs next to my display cakes "Please do not touch".
People come up close, look at the decorations "Are those roses real?!?" and touch them. Now we all now how fragile gumpaste roses are. I had a couple of incidents where I really needed to hold onto myself not to scream "Idiots" or something even more drastic at these people...

You know a friend of mine had that very same problem UNTIL she did this: She took a gumpaste rose (or whatever flowers were used on the dummy) and put it on a plate with a big sign saying "touch this!" And people would!! It was okay if they broke it and everything because it was an extra. She had several of these and it worked out well turning into a conversation piece. (And she saved her cakes too!) icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 11:32am
post #13 of 15

OK, I'll be the devil's advocate here.

A few years ago, I had the honor of catering the wedding for CC's CakeRN's daughter. CakeRN did the wedding cake and a beer bottle bucket groom's cake. The groom's cake was SO awesome looking that it had a bigger crowd around it than the 5 tier wedding cake that she made.

i was standing with CakeRN, admiring her groom's cake, when I noticed my finger was heading toward the cake to touch it!! I jerked my hand back and said, "OMG, did you see what I was about to do???!" And I KNEW it was a cake! I KNEW better!!!

I think it's human nature to want to touch beautiful things (which is why museums have "do not touch" signs up around their displays). So while I agree it's pretty stupid for folks to touch food, I understand the impulse.

(Although I'd NEVER lick something to see if it's real food! What if it was actually made of manure of something?? Of course it if was, it would serve the licker right!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 15

It really doesn't surprise me. When I do demo's at Michaels I have had people touch or pick up the flowers I have on display. Since they are ones I made in class it isn't the end of the world if they get broken, but it really annoys me. Adults do it just as much as kids do. I also had a woman, when I wasn't sitting at the table swipe her finger across the top of a cake. She basically wanted to see if it was a real cake. Ummm, did you ever think about just asking?

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm
post #15 of 15

Happened to me yesterday at my sister's baby shower. Several people asked, but it looked like some clueless person did the "Is that cake?" test with their big thumb right on the front of the cake. I was soooo annoyed when I saw it icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%