Help! I Can't Get My Cricut To Work!

Decorating By JenTwirl Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 1:45am by sebrina

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 10

I am having some trouble getting my cricut to cut properly. Every time I try to cut it crunches up the edges of what I am using. I have tried fondant, sugar sheets, frosting sheets, changing pressure, size, everything! I can't get it to work. I am beginning to think I wasted my money on this. Words of advice would be helpful!

9 replies
Valentinemommy2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valentinemommy2002 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 10

I don't have any answers but am anxiously awaiting to hear responses. I am thinking of buying one this week since I found one on clearance for $119. I've been trying to read reviews and see if I would really use it. I don't want to buy a bunch of extra stuff for it....really want to use homemade stuff in it.

Glory0523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Glory0523 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 10

Are you moving the cutter in a few inches before you cut? Whenever I start near the edge, I end up tearing the material, whether it is fondant, gumpaste, modeling chocolate, etc.

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory0523

Are you moving the cutter in a few inches before you cut? Whenever I start near the edge, I end up tearing the material, whether it is fondant, gumpaste, modeling chocolate, etc.

How do you move it in from the edge? That also seems to be where I run into trouble. I get frustrated with it and stop playing around with it! Maybe that would help!

Jordan0820 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jordan0820 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:28am
post #5 of 10

We just started using one and had a lot of problems at first. I did some searching online and came to a conclusion....It works wonders if you roll out your material on the cutting mat, and then trim the edges to have it ready for cutting, and then put it in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes. Once we started doing this, we were able to cut very intricut designs easily. Try it out!

cmehend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmehend Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:40am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinemommy2002

I don't have any answers but am anxiously awaiting to hear responses. I am thinking of buying one this week since I found one on clearance for $119. I've been trying to read reviews and see if I would really use it. I don't want to buy a bunch of extra stuff for it....really want to use homemade stuff in it.

Could I ask where you found one on clearance for that price? I really would like to get one.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:58am
post #7 of 10

There's a circle with a round button in the middle and directional arrows on the outside. When you push the arrows, the screen shows you how far in from the edge you have moved. Move the mat 1/2 inch in from the side edge and 1/2 inch in from the top edge.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:59am
post #8 of 10

Check out Linda McClure's youtube videos for step by step instructins and follow them to a "T" and you will have great success.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:32am
post #9 of 10

Also make and use Linda's recipe for gumpaste for Silhouette and Cricut. It's really the best and you don't need to freeze it to make it behave. Can roll it (literally) paper thin.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:45am
post #10 of 10

Be sure your knife (or whatever that little cutting tool is called) is clean. Sometimes mine will get a tiny piece stuck to it & cause everything to drag...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%