Unhappy Customer - How Would You Handle?

Business By CakeForte Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 2:07am by loriemoms

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 6:13am
post #31 of 32

This is pretty much resolved, but I appreciate everyone's input.

Before any of this started - I did not feel bad about the final product. It wasn't my best, but it was still nice and good enough. I felt good enough about it for me to deliver the cake to the venue, and not have to worry about the client being upset that they would not like it because I handmade all of the design elements that they did give me.

As cake bakers, you know what I am referring to. You know when the cake isn't always as you planned, it's not your best...but it is still nicely done and executed, and you can go about you day and not have that nagging feeling that the client will not like the cake. I had this feeling once when I first started my business over 5 years ago, and I refunded 100% on the order.

I wasn't posting my situation because I needed validation on the final product...but because I felt the client was taking advantage and what they were saying did not vibe with my feeling on the cake, and others reaction to that cake.

If it was such a mess as the client claims, people wouldn't have been eager to take photos and ask about it and ask for my business cards.

The client wasn't there when I delivered...but they had to go home at some point during that day as their event was at 10 AM...and they didn't call me or email me. They didn't contact me the next day either. I got an email in the afternoon on Sunday, when I was closed.

This client had over 2 months to send me a design, which they did not. I met with them once for two hours. They said they wanted a nice sheet cake. I don't even do sheet cakes, and told them that it would be much nicer than that...and it was. It was a two tier cake, with stripes on the bottom and their custom emblems on the top, with stars bursting out of the sides. This was based on the photoshop design I sent over and they accepted.

We had a thread of emails over the course of this two months, and they never gave me any design notes. I had several open house events that they could have come back to as well. So i did what I wanted, based on the info they did give me.

At the end of the day ...you can tell when a client has a true claim and when they're being shady and trying to take advantage. I felt like I was being taken advantage of and that is why I posted.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:07am
post #32 of 32

I know others may not agree, but I NEVER make excuses on the final result of my cakes. its not the customers fault that it took you such and such hours. You should have figured that out BEFORE you gave her a quote. If someone tells me "that is way too expensive" on a cake, I tell them That if the cake isn't in thier budget, I completely understand and thank them for considering our bakery and good luck. A lot of them call other bakeries and end up calling us back when they find out the price wasn't THAT bad!

Now back to your situaction, I agree, you need to step back. You need to tell the customer you are sorry that the cake didnt meet their vision, and even though you cannot fix gthe cake at this time, you would love to make her happy. Dont offer anything, just state this and see what happens. A lot of times, the customer is so happy you are acknowledging they are right, they say Oh, I just wanted to let you know! and you never hear from them again. Sometimes they want some money back. Give it to them. Its not worth the battle. Especailly since you yourself admitted you weren't totally happy with the cake.

NEVER ignore emails or calls from complaints.!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%