Raw Cake Syvia Weinstock Recipe Help!

Baking By mitzi229 Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 1:32pm by Baker_Rose

mitzi229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitzi229 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 5

I love the original yellow cake recipe by Sylvia Weinstock, I made it in a 8 x 3 round pan, I let it cook for over an hour and the bottom was a little raw. This is the second time this has happened to me. It also cooked for over an hour, should I cook it longer at 350? Or another temp. Please help.... I am worried when someone orders a cake from me that this will happen again. I also checked it with a knife and nothing stuck to it, yet it was still a little raw.

4 replies
katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 5

I can understand a cake not cooking in the middle but one not cooking on the bottom (right next to the metal pan?) sounds like your oven's lower heating element may not be working properly.

pummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pummy Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with above post. Check your oven.

mitzi229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitzi229 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 5

Ok I will check, meanwhile its a professional Thermador oven. Do you think I should just leave the temp at 350 all the way through?

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 5

Personally I have never had any luck with 3-inch deep cake pans. I see them used by professionals all the time on TV, but mine are now only used for cake assembly (when I have a soft filling that has to set before finishing). I much prefer to bake in two cake pans 2-inches deep or to bake three layer cakes in three separate cake pans.

If a cake isn't baking on the bottom it could also be a poor emulsion in the cake batter.

Tami

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%