Tall Pillared Wedding Cake

Decorating By sweetooth94 Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 3:42pm by indydebi

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 8

I'm quoting a bride on a wedding cake that she likes. She sent me a photo and I'm having trouble figuring out what pillar system this may be and how it's standing on the table. It's the tall middle cake she really wants, not all the satellite cakes. Can anyone help me with this? I use SPS for my regular stacked cakes, but haven't used anything like this before. I've attached the photo she sent me. Can anyone help direct me on what these pillars are and how the base of the pillars attach to the "table" or "board". Thanks to all CC members that give me some clues!!

7 replies
sweetooth94 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 8

Photo didn't attach for some reason...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 8

if the photo is online, you can copy and paste the link that we can go to. Or upload it in flickr or photobucket with a link here.

I "grew up" on pillared cakes so I'm anxious to see this one! icon_smile.gif

sweetooth94 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 8

This is it (photo still wouldn't attach), so I finally found it on a website icon_biggrin.gif http://my-weddingdream.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/fountain-wedding-cakes.jpg

She doesn't want the satellite cakes, just the tall 3-tier cake with pillars. I just can't figure out how to keep that tall cake stable. It looks like the legs are just sitting on the cake table and not attached to base.

indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 8

Oh, I've made that cake! thumbs_up.gif

The pillars are not just sitting on the table. If you look very close, you can see the base plate that the pillars are attached to. This is the wilton fountain stand ... comes with 2 large plates and six 13" pillars. This stand is very very stable. If you put it together on your kitchen table and wobble-test it, it will wobble and it will wobble a LOT! but once you put the cake on it, the weight of the cake stablizes it and holds it in place.

I used this for years with never a mishap.

You'll do fine with this one! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 8

Here's my version of this cake, so you can get a better view of the cake stand: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1437261

sweetooth94 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 8

Ahhh, thank you!! I honestly didn't see the plate at the bottom. I saw the fountain under the cake but was focusing on the stand and didn't realize that it was all part of a set. That helps me get a quote ready for her (obviously, I don't have that Wilton stand icon_lol.gif ).

Thanks Debi for your attached photo. That gave me a much better view. So you did a shell border on your cake? I was thinking the photo she sent was a ruffle all around the cake. The bride did tell me she doesn't care if the cake has those "ruffles" - she just wanted that tall-pillared look - that's what she fell in love with.

I so appreciate you sending me in the right direction!!

indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 8

When I look at the pic, they do look like shells to me. I wrapped a thread around the cake, making sure it was nice and level, and pulled slightly on the thread to make a line on the cake. (Like a chalk-line that contractors use). This helped me make sure the shell rows were straight.

As delicate as it looks, it's really easy to execute. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%