Uk Diabetic Cake Recipe - Please Help!!!

Baking By Jens88 Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 9:32pm by Jens88

Jens88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jens88 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:53am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping some of you out there can help me, I have an order for a diabetic anniversary cake coming up soon. This is the first time I've tried doing a diabetic friendly cake and I'm running into more difficulty than I'd anticipated! icon_sad.gif
I made a trial cake recently using xylitol instead of the sugar as I'd read that this was a good substitute, but the cake came out so dry it was like chewing on cardboard. I've also just come across this recipe on the Splenda website which I will try out soon http://www.splenda.co.uk/recipes/desserts/sponge-cake-cream-cheese-filling
I know there are lots of topics on diabetic cake recipes already on here but as they are all American recipes I'm not sure where to get hold of a lot of the things in time to make the cake. If there is anyone from the UK reading this who has a good diabetic cake recipe please let me know!! They are ok with having a fondant covering as they can peel this off and they want a regular sponge cake with jam and buttercream. I am going to use a sugar free jam but I haven't been able to find a recipe for diabetic buttercream so unless anyone here knows one I suppose I will just use a thin layer of this....
Thanks in advance for any help!

3 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 4

I never understood things like this... cake is sweet, it is meant to be a treat. It has sugar in it and it is a refined carbohydrate, that is the whole point of making and enjoying cake.

The main issue for diabetics is not being able to process the carbohydrates, so altering the sugar levels will only slightly help.

The best thing to do is for them to factor having a slice of cake into their diet for the day, count the carbs and have it instead of something else.

Saying that though, you've already accepted the order. So me saying that is just a rant!

Found this on a website, some ideas for substitutes:

Natural healthy ingredients are used, which include coconut oil, organic spelt flour or a gluten & wheat free flour blend, and raw cane sugar or agave nectar for the diabetic cake.

*Sugar free frosting is made with fructose, not agave nectar. The frosting contains a small amount of casinate, making it suitable for vegetarians but not vegans.

Google is your friend...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=liquid+sugar+substitute&hl=en&cr=countryUK|countryGB&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1440&bih=809&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=fw#hl=en&pq=liquid%20sugar%20substitute&xhr=t&q=uk+diabetic+cake+recipes&cp=15&pf=p&sclient=psy&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&biw=1440&bih=809&tbs=ctr:countryUK%7CcountryGB&source=hp&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=uk+diabetic+cak&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=612d70e118dcfff0

CJCrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CJCrystal Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 4

There's a diabetic recipe in the Party Cake magazine that came out on Thursday. If thats any help

Jens88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jens88 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you! I'll check it out icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%