3 Cakes, Two Days Apart -- Plan And Process Questions

Decorating By augurey Updated 5 Jun 2011 , 9:09pm by augurey

augurey Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:32am
post #1 of 5

I have 3 cakes to do coming up in 2 weeks. Just stuff I'm doing for family, but I would really like to do them if I can manage (especially as I am really looking forward to doing them).

I'm just not really sure how I should organize. I think if I could figure out the details of when and what I need to do, I can do this -- I have a tentative idea, but I'm not sure if this is practical and would work.

Friday, the 17th:

I'm doing 1 solar system theme. 1 9x13 cake (2 layer) w/ half ball pan on top (sun) w/ fondant covered rice krispies treats for planets.

This one is needed for around 6pm (I get home from work about 4).

Saturday, the 18th:

1 pool table cake. 9x13 (2 layer) w/ fondant balls & pockets.

1 golf theme. 9x13 (2 layer) w/ half ball pan on top (golf ball) w/ grass tip design.

These two are traveling about an hour and a half to family, but am not leaving until at least after 12 noon.

I plan on doing all rice krispies treats & fondant preparations on either the 11 or 12th. Probably the 12th as I have something of priority Saturday (but it shouldn't take me all day).

I plan on baking all cakes after work. The only problem is that I have no freezer space at all, especially not for all of these cakes (well, not even one, actually). Would the cakes be okay just being refrigerated or is it really better for them to be frozen?

I was thinking I could do the filling between the layers (as I've only just recently learned that I should let these sit to prevent bulging). I know you should set something heavy on top -- I don't have anything such as tiles -- what else could I use? Also, how long should I let this sit before moving on?

I'd like to do a crumb coat if possible on Wednesday. Again, crumb coating is something I only heard about and have yet to do. Are there certain recipes that should be used for this? Or just any buttercream or ganache (have only ever used the former).

Also, how long does the crumb coat have to sit before icing? If it's possible, I'd love to ice the solar system cake Wednesday, but if not, then it'd obviously have to be Thursday.

It'd be great if I could get the solar system cake completely decorated by evening. If not, I could do the finishing touches before it's needed on Friday after work (it's not traveling, everyone is coming to the house where it is being made).

Finishing touches on solar system cake if needed. I would like to get the pool table and golf cake started. Both will be iced in a green buttercream, so if I can at least get both cakes & the half golf ball frosted, I'd be happy.

I can get up early and spend the time before heading out finishing up on the fondant decorations on the one and the grass on the other.

I mean does this sound doable if I follow this? I think if I can stick to this I could do it, but I think the main concern is letting the filling in between the layers, crumb coating, and if my cakes will be okay by just being refrigerated instead of frozen?

Also, by any chance, if it is okay to refrigerate, would Monday be possible to bake all the cakes to allow myself an additional day to do everything? I feel like that extra day makes it a little more manageable.

4 replies
cakegirl1973 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 4:13am
post #2 of 5

In my opinion, baking on Tuesday for Friday and Saturday would require freezing the cakes. You do not want to stick them in the fridge, as it will pull the moisture out of the cakes. If you don't have the freezer space, could you ask a neighbor for some freezer space? Just a thought.

NanaSandy Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 4:41am
post #3 of 5

I bake all the time on Wednesday for a Saturday party. The cake is always moist and people love them. I bake, torte, fill and stack Wednesday, Thursday finish decorations, make icing, some decorating, Friday: apply fondant and finish decorating Friday. I have never had anybody say the cake didn't taste fresh and people always love them. In my opinion, a cake tastes better after it has a chance to settle for a few days. Also, by doing it this way, you don't have to worry about doing the tile, because the cake has enough time to settle. I almost never have any bulging! I wait until Friday morning to put on my fondant so that it is still pretty fresh and not harden up too much. Hope this helps. I wouldn't bake as early as Tuesday though...I am thinking that is a day or so early.

cakification Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 4:42am
post #4 of 5

I agree with cakegirl...that's far enough in advance that you need to freeze them, IMO.

If you cant freeze, I would prep absolutely everything else on tuesday except for making the actual cakes. You could make BC/fondant colour it, Make your fillings, make any decorations or letters ect. Then i would bake on Wednesday and finish on Thursday.

augurey Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the information!

I think I'm going to see what I can do about the freezer space to see if there is any way possible to make room for at least 2 layers for the Friday cake. If not, I'm sure I'll figure a way around this. I now have a Wilton class to go to that Wednesday, so that's going to take up some of my time.

But I'll see what I can do as far in advance as possible, and if I can at least bake the Friday cake before I go on Wednesday, that'll help. Then I can probably due the Saturday cakes on Thursday while decorating the other.

I'm going to start coming up with another tentative schedule, and hopefully that'll work out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%