Whipped Cream Under Fondant?

Decorating By nadsquad Updated 5 Jun 2011 , 11:24am by cabecakes

nadsquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadsquad Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:55am
post #1 of 5

Hello,

Can I put whipped cream in place of buttercream under fondant? I am making a pound cake with strawberry and vanilla pudding, and they are requesting whipped cream for the icing under the fondant layer . . . can this work?

If not, any suggestions for a whipped-cream-like icing alternative that can work under fondant?

Thanks!

4 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 4:28am
post #2 of 5

I've never personally used whipped cream under fondant but I heard that it wouldn't be good because the moisture in the whipped cream will melt the fondant and cause it to be droopy/gloppy (I have no good word to describe it lol..).

Does it have to be fondant? If it doesn't matter then use marzipan, Princess cakes are made that way (cake iced in whipping cream and covered with marzipan)

hth

nadsquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadsquad Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:53am
post #3 of 5

I will probably actually cover the cake with chocolate clay, not fondant . . . so would whipped cream hold up as the layer under the chocolate clay outer layer?

If not, any suggestions for what might work instead of whipped cream?

Help!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:14am
post #4 of 5

Whipped cream is not stable enough to be used as an icing under fondant.

I have heard the Whimisical Bakehouse Frotsing is good, I've never used it though.

I use IMBC (Italian Meringue Buttercream) exclusively. It is not as sweet as ABC and has a silky smooth texture.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 11:24am
post #5 of 5

I have never tried it, but I would have to say no...for a couple of reasons. 1) Whipped cream is perishable and not very stable, and 2) once it began to destablize (sp?) it would allow whatever is on top of it to slide right off the sides of the cake. Not to mention being a flat foamy mess under whatever you put on top of it. Not very appealing to the eye. You have to remember that all whipped cream is only milk and a little sugar. Like I said, I've never tried, but logic tells that it probably is not a good idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%