Placing Fondant Covered Cake On Fondant Covered Cake Board

Decorating By mclean Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 1:29am by mclean

mclean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclean Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:43am
post #1 of 9

I am going to be making my daughter's birthday cake next week. The plan is to cover the cakeboard with fondant (my first time). I am making an 8 inch double layer cake, also covered in fondant to go on top. I am trying to think through the logistics. Should I prepare the cake on an 8 inch (or larger?) board (i.e. apply the crumb coat and fondant) and then "slide" it off of the board and place it on the fondant board?? Is there an easy way to go about this? I can't quite fathom how to transfer the cake onto the fondant board and not ruin it in the process. Thanks for your help!

8 replies
abgisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abgisme Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:54am
post #2 of 9

Leave the cake on the board then place it on the covered board. There is no need to take the cake off the first board.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:59am
post #3 of 9

I'm going to do it for my first time soon. I plan to just leave the cake on the cakeboard amd set it on fondant board...using icing to "glue" it in place. hopefully someone experienced wil let us know if this works.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:10am
post #4 of 9

Cover your board now if you can. If it has time to dry a bit there is less damage to the fondant when the cake if positioned on the board.
I would also leave the cake on the 8" board and attach it to the fondant covered board with some buttercream.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:26am
post #5 of 9

I always just dampen my fondant covered cake board about the size of the cake i am putting on it. This makes it tacky and the cake board under the cake will glue to it. Never fails me. hth

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:30am
post #6 of 9

Cover the board in advance, let it dry well. Then do it just like you would stack a tiered cake: decorate your cake on it's own same-size board up to the stage you would if you were stacking it onto another tier of cake, then move it onto the covered board just the same as you would transfer the top tier of a stacked cake.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:33am
post #7 of 9

Last weekend I did a fondant covered board for the first time. I put the cake on first, then cut a long strip of fondant and then rolled it out around the cake & trimmed. It was easier than I thought it would be and looked nice. The only thing is you have a seam where the strip meets back up, but it was barely noticeable and in the back.

cakemamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaof3 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:00am
post #8 of 9

Ditto to covering the board first, as much as a week before and let it harden in an area free of dust, or it will get dusty (believe me). In order to cover my board I smear clear piping gel on the entire bottom AND sides. And when I go to place my cake on it I spread a little clear piping gel where the cake is going to go. My cakes don't go ANYWHERE, I've even tilted it to the side after it had set just to see.

mclean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclean Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:29am
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much for all of your replies. You have been so helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%