Classes At Sweetwise In Nashville

Decorating By katnmouse Updated 5 Jun 2011 , 3:29am by katnmouse

katnmouse Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:03am
post #1 of 12

Just wondering if anyone here has taken any classes at Sweetwise in Nashville. I don't have any fondant experience and am considering signing up for their fondant I class (learn fondant basics and how to use The Mat and cover a cake, etc.). I have a niece who lives about 1.5 hours outside Nashville and wondered if a 2 hour class there would be worth the time and effort for me to get there. TIA

11 replies
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:33am
post #2 of 12

I love them!!! I had never worked with fondant until I took one of their classes. Kathy and John (the owners) and staff are great. And you will love using The Mat. It makes covering a cake a snap.
I live about an hour outside of Nashville and have taken numerous classes there since I found them. They also have a great store there when you are looking for supplies. You will fall in love! I can't say enough good things about them. icon_smile.gif

crazyladybaker Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:16am
post #3 of 12

I have not take any classes ...YET. They have been super helpful when I have asked questions though.
I will make the 6 hr drive to take classes with them someday though.

katnmouse Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:04am
post #4 of 12

Thank you both for the replies. I'm 4 hours east of Nashville but if I used my niece's house as a "home base" it wouldn't be too difficult of a excursion. I think I'm going to do it icon_biggrin.gif

katnmouse Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:05am
post #5 of 12

Thank you both for the replies. I'm 4 hours east of Nashville but if I used my niece's house as a "home base" it wouldn't be too difficult of a excursion. I think I'm going to do it icon_biggrin.gif

SammieB Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:08am
post #6 of 12

Several people i know have taken the fondant 1 class and loved it. I really want to do the pulled sugar class next time they offer it.

katnmouse Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:18am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieB

Several people i know have taken the fondant 1 class and loved it. I really want to do the pulled sugar class next time they offer it.

I noticed that class is being offered in July. I'm not ready for that level yet. icon_lol.gif

crazyladybaker Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:38am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnmouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieB

I noticed that class is being offered in July. I'm not ready for that level yet. icon_lol.gif

I am not ready for that either but BOY would I jump at the chance of taking it. icon_biggrin.gif That is something I really really want to try.

SammieB Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:01am
post #9 of 12

Are you kidding me?! I seriously have been stalking their website for ages hoping it would be offered soon. I have written a few emails with no responses about whether or not they would be offering it any time in the next few months, and if not if they would offer private lessons. Never heard a thing. And you're right! There is is, July 10. Um, that may very well be an early Happy 30th Birthday to me!

I'm no where near good enough to open a business yet by any means. I want to wait a few years until my kids are in school anyway, but I have always loved baking and decorating! I haven't taken any classes yet, just basically watch and learn from CC and youtube. When I was a kid I had a season pass to Opryland and I would just watch the blown glass artist for hours on end. I know blown sugar isn't nearly the same thing, but it has some similar qualities without quite the same expense. I love playing with sugar. I want to take the class to learn more about it; and to see if it's worth pursuing before having to invest in the equipment. I figure if I just love it, well, my 30th bday is September and I have a big family already asking what to get. Cake supplies!!!!

SammieB Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #10 of 12

Bless you for starting this thread!! I was practically jumping up and down when you mentioned the class, and my super wonderful husband immediately said, "Sign up! Happy early Birthday, baby!" Did I mention he is an absolute saint?! I am so excited. I checked the schedule, they only take 12 people in that class and they only had 7 spots remaining already.

I know I'm going to be a complete amateur in a class of pros, but I'm quite alright with that. WOOHOO!!!

CaseyNic Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:19am
post #11 of 12

I took fondant 1 and it was AWESOME! Everyone over at Sweetwise is always super friendly and helpful and The Mat is pretty much genius. It's def worth a couple hours drive if you're wanting to learn more about fondant.

katnmouse Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:29am
post #12 of 12

Hooray for you! What a great birthday gift. I'm just a hobby baker making cakes, cookies, cupcakes, etc for fun. My family, friends and fellow teachers get a regular "dose" of my goods (I'm just afraid that they are going to get tired of being my guinea pigs one of these days icon_biggrin.gif ) I'm getting more and more people telling me "you need to sell these...when are you going to open a shop...I want you to do my wedding, etc." I don't know that I'll actually ever take it that far but I'm interested in seeing how much I can learn and just what I'm capable of doing. I just know that taking some quality classes would be far better (and less wasteful) for me than relying on trial and error. Hooray for both of us!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%