Butterflies On A Cake... Help??

Decorating By Nicole211 Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 3:36pm by DinasSugarShack

Nicole211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicole211 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a birthday cake for a 3yo girl next week. Mom wants butterflies both on the cake and"floating" above/around it. The pic she sent me has some really cool ones on it- its very obvious the designer didn't use standard cutters-they are pretty intricate! ...any suggestions on how to do them?? TIA!![/code]

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 9

there are many ways to create b'flies. Cutters, free hand, gumpaste, wafer paper, and molds.
W/o seeing the pix you are referring to it's had to suggest alternate methods. IMHO wafer paper is the esiest method.

prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 9

I did a sweet 16 butterfly cake with butterflies around the cake. I used a butterfly cutter from karen's cookies and just did some extra detail on them. the cake is in my pics if you'd like to take a look icon_smile.gif

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 9

First Impression Silicone Molds. Love them!

CakeCrystal5308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystal5308 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 9

just a quick thought... using butterfly molds and gelatin... you can make them thin... then brush the gelatin butterflies very lightly with luster dust and they will kind of sparkle... its very pretty... I don't have a picture though (sorry)...

evesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesmommy Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 9

Ive recently bought some butterfly plunger cutters. I used them to decorate some cupcakes, they add the veins of the butterflies, the n i lustre dusted them to make them look sparkly. As for 'making them float' what about the wire sparklers with buttlerflies on thre end. Without seein the picture your aiming for its hard to recommend ideas.
My butterfly cupcakes are on my page
Hope this helps
claire xx

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 9

i had found a website where she shows how to make lace butterflies but of course i can't remember the name of the website But what she did was just use a simple butterfly cookie cutter and then use pastry tips to cut out designs in the wings then placed the butterfly in a piece of card stock folded then placed the paper in the flower former. I hope that makes sense.

evesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesmommy Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 9

I saw a picture of a cake yesterday of butterflies goin along a cake to a launch, lookin like they gna fly!! They were put on cake wire an stuck down into the cake an lifted higher, as they were taking off .

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 9

For the flying part, Duff makes these wires that you can stick in a cake and attach things to them, they will kind of look like a baby mobile.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%