Ganache - Use The Same Day??

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 5 Jun 2011 , 9:38pm by mandyloo

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 15

I made ganache the other night and it didn't set up and had some oil sitting on the top. I have ideas on what I did wrong. I ended up using some of the glop (after taking the oil off) to make chocolate icing and will mix some in with the cake crumbs from the cake that I didn't add enough water too to make cake balls.

And while that will use up some of my screw up it doesn't solve my current problem.

Has anyone ever made ganache and used it in the same day? I'm thinking maybe I can make a new batch (would have to go to the store for more chocolate) and maybe give it a short chill time in the fridge or maybe with an ice bath or just some cold water?

Am I asking for trouble and wasting time (would have to go by more chocolate) or could it work??

Cake's for tomorrow and I have to hand paint cheetah print on the fondant, so I really don't have the time to let it sit over night.

It's been a really bad cake day!

14 replies
countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 15

I do it all the time. Just let it set up in the fridge for a couple of hours. After that if it's too hard, you can soften it in the microwave for a few seconds. I've never had any problems doing it that way. Good luck!

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 15

I have used ganache the same day..after several hours..I ended up beating it with mixer and it got fairly thick.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 15

I think if there's oil then the ganache has separated (maybe from overheating) you can add more whipping cream and whisk together to bring it back.

SweetDreams98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams98 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 15

Texassugar - I've used several different ganache recipes and I seem to always mess up my timing. Good luck and I hope you get the result you're looking for!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycaker

I do it all the time. Just let it set up in the fridge for a couple of hours. After that if it's too hard, you can soften it in the microwave for a few seconds. I've never had any problems doing it that way. Good luck!

I do the same thing. I rarely let it sit overnight. Never have had a problem. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:10am
post #7 of 15

Thanks everyone! I headed to Walmart and got more supplies and made it again. This batch already looks much better.

I'm sure I got it to hot last time. I thought about adding more chocolate since it was too thin. In the end instead of risking the doctoring not working I'd scrap it and find other uses for the messed up batch. It worked fine in the buttercream.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:22am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Thanks everyone! I headed to Walmart and got more supplies and made it again. This batch already looks much better.

I'm sure I got it to hot last time. I thought about adding more chocolate since it was too thin. In the end instead of risking the doctoring not working I'd scrap it and find other uses for the messed up batch. It worked fine in the buttercream.

Glad to hear it worked out!

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:25am
post #9 of 15

1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, heat in microwave till simmering. pour over 1 pound chocolate chip...let it sit without stirring a bout 5 minutes, stir till all combines and smooth. let it cooll till it is the consistency of honey, pour over your cake.
we buttercream our cake first and smooth then ganache.
If you want to do borders like in my last posted cake, place the ganach over a bowl of ice and whip till thick, you can use this as it is or mix it with some good buttercream, mixing with the buttercream allows the whipped ganache to hold up better in warm temp.
never had it fail.
i have a couple ganached cakes in my pictures, take a look.

TexasSugar Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:41am
post #10 of 15

This was one of those user errors not a bad recipe. I just used the same recipe a month ago with no problem. It also is the thicker ganache that you spread on. Putting it under fondant.

Thank you though.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 1:08am
post #11 of 15

Hammer, you ganache work is beautiful. I'll have to try it your way, so far ganache and I haven't gotten along very well..thanks

TexasSugar Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 4:32pm
post #12 of 15

I started spreading on the ganache while it was still softer than the PB consistency because I was getting impatient. I'd made it in a metal bowl and was afraid the fridge would cause the stuff against the bowl to harden too much too fast.

It worked out great and firmed up very quickly on the cake!

Thank y'all for letting me know it could be done. After the morning I was having I wasn't sure the cake would get done. But it did and it looks pretty good. icon_smile.gif

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I started spreading on the ganache while it was still softer than the PB consistency because I was getting impatient. I'd made it in a metal bowl and was afraid the fridge would cause the stuff against the bowl to harden too much too fast.

It worked out great and firmed up very quickly on the cake!

Thank y'all for letting me know it could be done. After the morning I was having I wasn't sure the cake would get done. But it did and it looks pretty good. icon_smile.gif

Glad to hear everything worked out icon_biggrin.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:22pm
post #14 of 15

Has anyone used ganache for an outdoor wedding got one in July. In beautiful, hot, humid North Al. any suggestions?

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Has anyone used ganache for an outdoor wedding got one in July. In beautiful, hot, humid North Al. any suggestions?

The first image that comes to mind is of tiny no see 'ums and mosquitoes sticking to it.. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%