Fuzzy Fibres In Fondant/gumpaste...help?!

Decorating By lulubee Updated 5 Jun 2011 , 3:43pm by lulubee

lulubee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulubee Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 5

I am quite new at making cakes and I was wondering if anyone else out there has a problem with little "fuzzies" or fibres sticking in the fondant and gumpaste when rolling it out. I use a silicone mat for rolling it out and I make sure everything is well cleaned before I start, I also use a chamois for drying my hands so I don't have as much residue fibres that a regular towel would leave but I still have this problem! Does anyone have any tips for me?

4 replies
KeLs3784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeLs3784 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 5

try taking a little ball of fondant and rubbing your hands all over it before you work with the fondant you will use- then throw that out. should pick up any fibers on your hands- same thing with your rolling pin...

also- have you heard of the mat? i just ordered it from sweet wise- its a two sided vinyl food safe mat that allows you to roll the fondant without it touching the counter top- looks like it would eliminate your problem totally. check out the thread on here called "the mat"

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLs3784

try taking a little ball of fondant and rubbing your hands all over it before you work with the fondant you will use- then throw that out. should pick up any fibers on your hands- same thing with your rolling pin...

also- have you heard of the mat? i just ordered it from sweet wise- its a two sided vinyl food safe mat that allows you to roll the fondant without it touching the counter top- looks like it would eliminate your problem totally. check out the thread on here called "the mat"

thumbs_up.gif

Acjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acjohnson Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 5

You can use gloves, that may help

lulubee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulubee Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%