Modeling Chocolate Vs. Gumpaste

Decorating By DolceDreams Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 4:58am by hollyml

DolceDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DolceDreams Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake for a 7 year old boy. I know he is going to want to eat the figures, so I would prefer they taste good. I would like to try modeling chocolate but have never used it. Do I work with it in the same way as gumpaste? How would I attach arms to the chocolate body? Royal icing? Toothpicks? Do I tint it the same way I would with the gumpaste? Also can I cover RKT with it? Do I just roll it out like fondant first? I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I have never worked with modeling chocolate and would really like to try! Thanks!! icon_redface.gif

4 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 5

I use modeling chocolate (actually candy clay) a lot since kids are always eating it up and it does taste way better than gumpaste. Work it the same way as you would fondant and I would use dry spaghetti instead of toothpicks for safety reasons. I attach the pieces to each other with a little bit of piping gel. It dries up instantly so no downtime in waiting for the pieces to dry before assembling. I usually build up the entire figure all at once - you'll love it!

My blog has a couple tips and the recipes I use for candy clay. With RKT, I just cover it straight with the candy clay since it works great at filling in all the grooves and gives you a smooth surface to work with.

DolceDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DolceDreams Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:17am
post #3 of 5

Thank you very much! You were very informative and helpful!! I am going to give the modeling chocolate a try (with confidence!) icon_wink.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:40am
post #4 of 5

Thank you! I have made the chocolate modeling chocolate before but I didn't have the instructions like you did here...and these look so doable! I have some figures I've been dreading doing for next week, now I'm looking forward to them!
thanks!

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:58am
post #5 of 5

Dry spaghetti! Now why didn't I think of that? icon_smile.gif I did my first candy clay figure modeling this week and I used some bits of skewer to attach some of the pieces. But it's my own children eating the figures so I'm not too worried about the safety aspect. icon_smile.gif

The piping gel is a good tip too; I used some straight corn syrup as glue and it worked okay, but just okay. My figure kept losing her shoes, and was in danger of losing her hand as I was putting her on the cake. icon_lol.gif

I love the way you can reshape the stuff just by warming it a bit in your hands. so it's not too late to fix or change things after they dry. And my kids definitely like the taste better than fondant.

Holly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%