Ribbon On Wedding Cake

Decorating By stauff4 Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 7:54pm by FromScratchSF

stauff4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stauff4 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hi guys! I know this question has probably been asked more than once on this site, but I've skimmed through the topics and can't seem to find the answer. I'm making a four-tiered wedding cake in a few weeks and need to attach ribbon to the bottom of each tier. The cake will be iced in buttercream and I don't know what type of ribbon to use that won't soak up the grease. I've searched the internet and haven't found anything that will work. I've tried backing the ribbon with wax paper and the ribbon still soaked the grease from the top and bottom. Someone else said that you can coat the ribbon with vegetable oil, but I don't know if the ribbon will hold if it's damp. This is my first wedding cake and really don't want to disappoint the bride and groom. I see ribbon on cakes all the time (that's not fondant) and it doesn't soak up the grease, I just don't know how to do it! When we met with the baker for our wedding cake, I remember her saying that there's something you can spray on ribbon that will make it resistant to the grease.... anyone heard of this? Sorry to ramble on, but ANY help would be MUCH appreciated! Thank you!

7 replies
KeLs3784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeLs3784 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 8

thinking out loud here- but would painting the side that will be attaching to the cake with food color work maybe?

sweetsirten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsirten Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 8

I've done a couple buttercream cakes with satin ribbon around the bottom of the tiers. I put 2 layers of wax paper behind the ribbon and then secure it all with a pin in the back. I've never had a problem. icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 8

I've ironed wax paper to the ribbon and it worked like a charm. I've also read on a prior post that you can spray the ribbon with Pam. Haven't tried that trick yet. Good luck!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 8

I've done the iron-on wax paper. No leakage at all.

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 8

someone had said before that they use double sided tape to attach wax paper to the back of the ribbon. then you'd essentially have 2 barriers to keep grease from soaking through.

stauff4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stauff4 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you everyone! How exactly do you go about ironing the wax paper onto the ribbon? What do you cover them with so the wax paper doesn't stick to the iron? The Pam is a great idea if it works! I'll definitely try these ideas! Thanks again!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 8

Something to think about - I know it's big in the cake world to use fabric ribbon on cake, and people do this to save money, but I personally convince my brides to not do this (and I win every time). The best ribbon to attach to a cake (and it won't bleed thru) is ribbon you make out of fondant. Fabric ribbon is non-functional garnish, not food safe so you have no idea what poison you are putting on the cake (like cancer causing dyes, formaldehyde, embalming fluid, lead etc), it's a PITA to attach, and just as big of a PITA to take off. I've even seen some people use straight pins to attach fabric into the buttercream on a cake! icon_eek.gif I can fondant-ribbon a cake in a fraction of the time it takes me to muck around with fabric - for this reason I don't charge extra for fondant ribbon bands. They just need to provide me a color swatch and I'll match it with something edible.

Lucks makes edible shimmer ribbons, maybe check those out and see if you can get the color/style of the fabric if you are not comfy working with fondant.

good luck,

jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%