Whipped Cream (Icing?)

Baking By Kaykaymay Updated 5 Jun 2011 , 8:10pm by scp1127

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:22am
post #1 of 13

I'm making a black forest cake for my dad's birthday tomorrow and I've never made whipped cream before. Can someone please share a recipe for the whipped cream that can be used for filling and covering the cake. I really want something as stable a possible that wont get flat or slide off the cake after an hour of two. Please help.

12 replies
mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:32am
post #2 of 13

If you have a Smart n Final or Sam's Club around you, I suggest using Frosting Pride or Bettercreme. It is a shelf stable whipped topping. If comes either pre-whipped and frozen or as a frozen liquid. I but the liquid one, you just thaw and whip. It can be flavored anyway you want, but is good by itself with a little vanilla. NUMMY!!!!

But if you don't have access to that, check the recipes, I believe there are a few recipes in there.

Oh yeah, I have never tried it, but I have heard you can stabilize whipped cream with gelatin.

Good luck and HTH!!!!

Kaykaymay Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:07am
post #3 of 13

I don't have access to any of those things, only the gelatin so I guess thats what I'll have to use. I did read about the gelatin but I'm kinda iffy about how it might taste. Thanks for answering.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 8:32am
post #4 of 13

You can also stabilize the whipped cream with piping gel. It works great. There is another that stabilizes with sour cream. If you don't use the gelatin, I can share these.

Kaykaymay Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:03am
post #5 of 13

I would love to see those with the piping gel or sour cream, but what would it taste like with the sour cream?? wouldn't the sour cream just over power it?

scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 9:32am
post #6 of 13

I have used the piping gel one, but the one with the sour cream is tops on my "to try" list. It has 89 five star reviews, so it can't be bad. I use sweetened sour cream on my cheesecakes and it is incredibly good... straight sour cream and sugar.

3/4 c heavy crem
1/4 c sour cream
1/3 c confectioners sugar or half conf/half granulated
1/2 tspvanilla

Whip to stiff peaks.

I have used the piping gel... 2 tbsp per cup of heavy cream in your recipe.

Neither of these are shelf stable, they just make the whipped cream last longer.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 11:48am
post #7 of 13

I use 1 cup whipping cream, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla. It comes out great every time!

Kaykaymay Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for sharing your recipes! I was also wondering what was the difference between whipping cream and heavy cream (because I already bought whipping cream) and this is what I found

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Milkproducts.svg

might be helpful to someone else also.

Haute_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Haute_Mama Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykaymay

Thanks for sharing your recipes! I was also wondering what was the difference between whipping cream and heavy cream (because I already bought whipping cream) and this is what I found

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Milkproducts.svg

might be helpful to someone else also.

I didn't see where Heavy cream was on that diagram you linked. I still don't know the difference between the two? Does heavy cream just have a higher fat percentage than whipping cream?

Kaykaymay Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 13

Heavy cream is almost the same as double cream and yeah its the fat content that makes the difference. The higher the fat content the better the whipping ability. Apparently milk starts to whip from whipping cream/Light cream.

scp1127 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 5:12am
post #11 of 13

Calhouns, she wants stabilized whipped cream. It lasts longer without breaking down.

Kaykaymay Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 13

The cake turned out great! Yummy! I used scp1127's recipe with the piping gel but I had to make my own gel because I couldn't find that either. I still didn't want to take any chances though so I waited until 6 PM to whip the cream and assemble, we cut the cake at 9PM and the whipped cream is still looking perfect this morning. The one thing I would do different next time is freeze the cake until assembly, Everything was kept cold including my mixing bowl and beater but I left the cake at room temp. It didn't make a big difference but last night the whipped cream looked a little like it might start to deflate (just slightly, I'm sure I was the only one that noticed) but this morning It was perfect (after 12 hrs in the fridge). I'm really happy with the way it turned out thanks to all of you that took the time to help. icon_smile.gif

BTW if anyone wants to know this is the recipe I used for the homemade piping gel (Found it online)

PIPING GEL RECIPE:

INGREDIENTS:

2 envelopes (2 tablespoons) unflavored gelatin

2 tablespoons cold water

2 cups light Karo syrup, or light corn syrup

INSTRUCTIONS:

Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small saucepan and let set for about 5 minutes. Heat on low until the gelatin has become clear/dissolved - DO NOT BOIL. Add the syrup and heat thoroughly. Cool and store, refrigerated, for up to 2 months.

TO COLOR: Add coloring paste/gel or food coloring drops to get desired color.

TO USE: Put in icing bag or plastic squeeze bottle and decorate.

My review:

1. Worked well for the whipped cream
2. Took color nicely!
3. Tried to pipe with it but all my letters just bled into itself.
4. Look like it would work for a pool or lake on a cake.

scp1127 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 8:10pm
post #13 of 13

Glad it worked out. I was so glad to find a way to stabilize whipped cream. When we make strawberry shortcake at home, now the whipped cream doesn't have to be re-made every day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%