Is called to order.

Who's up?

Watch working' on?[/b]

43 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:53am
post #2 of 44

Howdy!

It's still daylight here on the left coast. icon_rolleyes.gif It's also the start of summer break and my kids are already trying to kill each other. icon_cry.gif

I have chocolate cake in the giant "oreo" pan in the oven now. It's for a bbq tomorrow night when one of our friends debuts his backyard drive-in set-up. He bought a big inflatable big screen that works with a projector to do outdoor movies. We're watching a cheesy 80's space movie w/David Hasselhoff.

I made Red Velvet last weekend for the first time (I know how much you LOVE it Leah) I honestly didn't know what it was supposed to taste like. I've had it once, years ago, in the form of a Sprinkles cupcake. I wasn't impressed. I had a friend who once lived in Georgia come over to taste test. The cake was a favor for another friend who was throwing a surprise party for her hubby's 30th and was a big success.

Kristy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:53am
post #3 of 44

Geez, it took me 25 minutews to log on from my laptop. that first post was from my phone. Time for a new laptop!!

Anyway . . . three weddings this week. One three tier already delivered.

One five tier plus a kitchen cake for tomorrow.
Then the other one tomorrow - grab your socks - a candy buffet and 750 cake balls.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:57am
post #4 of 44

hey! just working on a 3 tier wedding cake.

@Leah-I did some gumpaste tulips, without wires. I had a meltdown the other day... Any way... I'm wondering about attaching them to my cake. I thought either a blob of buttercream or maybe a ball of fondant... what do you think? It's a tulip topper then a bunch on 2nd and bottom tiers.

leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #5 of 44

Jennifer, I'd go with the blob of bc. But then I wire EVERYthing.

Jenniferkay Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #6 of 44

how would I wire the tulips now? I had thought maybe "U" shape into a styrofoam topper.

Allie06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allie06 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:13am
post #7 of 44

First time with a scratch German Chocolate cake. I did the frosting too. Leah, you're a champ! 750 cake balls!!!!

leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:15am
post #8 of 44

Jenn, too late for wiring now.

I've been workin' on these ^&(*^ balls all week. 60 more pops to dip as soon as I finish decorating this last tier.

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:17am
post #9 of 44

750 cake balls!! Dang! I made a 2011 graduation cake, my first number cake and just finished up 2 dozen cupcakes for a company picnic tomorrow!

Jenniferkay Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:19am
post #10 of 44

I gotcha icon_wink.gif yeah...nothing was working for me this week. All my petals that I had wired...well just weren't working. So I had to come up with a solution. I'm hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel really. This week/weekend is just too much.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:24am
post #11 of 44

Still waiting on that cake pop roller, Leah?

My very first wedding cake this week. I delivered it today but not before I packed pillows and foam around it all to transport it. There was no time to order SPS and the delivery was down hill down a gravel road for the last 2 miles. You could hardly see the cake boxes in the van for the cushioning. I did a lot of on-site decorating and table where it was to be placed wasn't in the shade until half an hour before the start of the wedding (reception in same place). Whew! Everything (including me) made it through fine! It's posted in my pics.

Tomorrow is day one of two days moving my daughter and then Monday morning I have an accounting class exam bright and early. I should study but I'm physically and mentally exhausted.

Jenniferkay- are the tulips thoroughly dried?

KJ62798 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:32am
post #12 of 44

Leah--you are my hero!

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:35am
post #13 of 44

Leah, when do you sleep? icon_wink.gif

I just finished a couple of dozen cupcakes, a smash cake, some gumpaste flowers and a 1/2 dozen flower cookie pops that took way way way too long to decorate.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:36am
post #14 of 44

Whohoo Leah! 750!! That has to be a record!

all I did today was make two simple 10" cakes for a friend 's retirement and one for my niece's birthday on Sunday. Crumb coated and filled with some scratch chocolate mousse. I also kept working on the hippo ballerina cake fondant piece for next weekend. I only want to know how the professionals stand on your feet all day! Mine are killing me! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:36am
post #15 of 44

Cheatize, whew! you make me tired just reading that.

Cake pop roller isn't due to be shipped until the end of the month. I'll have fun playing with it when I'm not under so much pressure.

KJ6, What the "oreo" pan? Does it make the Oreo impression? That would be super cool!

Jennifer, my best advice on tulips is to BUY the damn things. Too fiddley. AvalonDeco.com

leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:38am
post #16 of 44

OK, here I go. rollin' and dippin'

KJ62798 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:46am
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

KJ6, What the "oreo" pan? Does it make the Oreo impression? That would be super cool!

This is the silicone Big Top brand cookie pan. I'm borrowing it from a friend--it's not my fave but I keep forgetting to go get the metal one until, doh--I need it for tomorrow. The design on top is sort of a geometric pattern, sadly, not the Oreo logo.

It is very cute. With chocolate cake & some sort of white filling, it does look like a huge sandwich/Oreo cookie. Dead easy for a family party since I don't have to decorate it--just fill between the layers and go.

Now I need to decide on which of my leftover frosting/fillings to use. I have a batch of cream cheese frosting in the fridge from the RV adventure. I also have some white chocolate BC. Which sounds better w/Triple Chocolate WASC cake?

Kristy

EDIT: Here's a link to the pan at Bed, Bath & Beyond:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17561359

This is the one I want--it looks a little more like a real Oreo with a place for a logo:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17557742&RN=873&

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:49am
post #18 of 44

KJ62798 the white chocolate buttercream sounds like the winner to me!! Yum I think I just drooled!

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:53am
post #19 of 44

I am making a pirate ship cake for a friend's bday. I am pretty comfortable covering round and square cakes with MMF, but I don't have much experience with odd shaped cakes. I'm praying for good MMF and patience! I guess you'll never get better if you don't try new techniques, right?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:56am
post #20 of 44

I agree with Leah- buy them! I purchased the gumpaste roses and buds for the wedding cake. I thought it was a lot of money to spend until I received them and realized how long it would have taken to make them (and therefore how much money I'd have to charge for them). In my case, that would have been a million-billion dollars right now because anything beyond the simple ones like daisies are beyond my capabilities. Worth the money and if you don't want to discuss whether you made them or purchased them, just take the label off the box.

KJ62798- Isn't the metal Oreo pan from Williams-Sonoma? I think that's where I saw it.

Did anyone else get in on the Sur la Table 40% off Magic Line sale this week?

KJ62798 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:00am
post #21 of 44

Cheatize--Williams Sonoma has a big cookie pan but it is more expensive than the Nordicware one at BBB

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/goldtouch-nonstick-sandwich-cookie-cake-pan/?pkey=ccake-pans|bkwcakspt

Not sure if the extra $10-15 equates to that much better of a pan. When BBB has a coupon, theirs is only $15.

Kristy

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:01am
post #22 of 44

I just watched a youtube video for the cakeball roller and OMG...I'm seriously getting one.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:03am
post #23 of 44

I am working on an Elmo cake for my best friend's son's birthday tomorrow. I have been working on this sucker for 3 days now!!! I would never make it in a business!!! Anyway, it is almost done, just putting the final touches on. So I should be done in about 3 hours.. icon_redface.gif

Thanks for the flower website Leah, I have been looking for a good place to buy some.

leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:13am
post #24 of 44

another vote for white choco bc!

leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:38am
post #25 of 44

I just adore David from AvalonDeco. (I've never met him) I've always been under the impression that he's a small biz like most of us on here. I think maybe he works out of his home or apartment. He's the only one who answers the phone and one day he had his sick son with him, caring for him and answering the phone taking orders too. How sweet is that?

Anyway, the website doesn't list nearly all the stuff he has. Just call and ask for what you need.

I just got in a boat load of roses for a cake where the brides wants about half the cake covered. I charged her $300 just for the roses and bought them from David for $130 and I bet I have a ton left over for my general inventory. And they're beautiful!

They ARE handmade. Just not by my hands.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:41am
post #26 of 44

DD's birthday is Monday baked Cake and cupcakes. Lunch at church Sunday -cake for that. We have a work crew coming tomorrow to help us put the trusses and roof on the new building. Hopefully they can get all that finished and two walls up tomorrow. Wuhu!! Fried pies and cake for tomorrow.

leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:46am
post #27 of 44

Question of the night for anyone still up. Why are Paramount Crystals called crystals? They're flakes.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:48am
post #28 of 44

Could it be that the crystals sparkle? And if they were called sparkle flakes they might be confused for a breakfast cereal?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:50am
post #29 of 44

hello everyone!

It's been a long time since I checked in. Mid April my younger daughter had my grandson and I was there for 12 days then I took off for Europe with my Mom on May 11th and got back the 25th with a blooming case of bronchitis...thank goodness this weekend was my first that I had booked because I wasn't worth anything last week.

This week has one birthday cake for a 7 yr old...tied dyed and glittery...and a wedding cake for a Bridal Shower since the bride is getting married 200 miles away and won't really get a wedding cake (6 inch cutting cake only). So the top tier will be real, bottom tier a dummy just for looks. I got the birthday cake done and the bottom tier of the wedding cake done as well as the top tier filled and crumbcoated, will finish up in the morning to give the real tier time to settle. Very happy with both cakes but man, I wasn't physically ready to take this on and it really wore me out. I'm booked up this summer so I only get one small break but fortune has allowed me to go part time at my day job so it's going to be an easier summer. Exciting since last summer I was working 12 hours a day 7 days a week!LOL!

Hope to be more active on here from now on...feels like I've been gone forever!

Cat

leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:52am
post #30 of 44

Welcome back Grandma Cat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%