Help!! Need To Make A Graduation Hat For A Cake....

Decorating By mskavon Updated 5 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm by MollyHammond

mskavon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskavon Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:38am
post #1 of 11

And i didn't plan far enough ahead! The cake is due tomorrow. I made the hat using a ball pan and inverted it. my intentions we to just put a square on top and have the hat. Unfortunately, the "topper" still isn't dry icon_sad.gif Is there a way to make fondant or gumpaste dry super fast? Maybe put it in the freezer or fridge? idk i'm a nervous wreck!! Please help!!

10 replies
Olivia02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olivia02 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 11

When I run out of gumpaste I add tylose powder to my fondant to help harden. I dont think it will become stiff enough by tomorrow to use as the flat top piece to ur graduation hat. Have you thought of maybe just using a square piece of cardboard and cover with fondant or gumpaste. Hope this helps, orr you get more help by other cc members.

PeggyMichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeggyMichel Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:17am
post #3 of 11

I have done a number of grad hats. Some times I use a half ball pan inverted. But if the scale isn't right for what I am doing, I have made the base using RKT. The top is always a square of cardboard covered with black fondant. This could be used right away if needed.HTH!

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:48am
post #4 of 11

I made a graduation cap with candy melts. I used a bowl as a mold for the round part and a square pan as a mold for the top. I put them in the freezer or frig for just a few minutes to set up and then unmold.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:51am
post #5 of 11

for the morter board i use black foam core and cover with fondant. I used to do them solely out of GP, but if the weather is humid it can soften up, so i started using the foam core underneath. the customers really dont care that i use it.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:00am
post #6 of 11

I made one recently and just covered a square cake board with black fondant. Worked like a charm! No worries about drying or falling apart!

KeLs3784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeLs3784 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 11

i think because of your time dilemma, putting it in the freezer would work. I made a thomas face out of mmf and stuck a candy stick through it to put in the cake- i let that sit in the fridge for about 2 days. It was hard as a rock and held up great. (pic in my photos).

Erika2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika2000 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 11

When really pressed fpr time I have put my items on a piece of deli wrap on a cookie sheet and put them in my oven set lowest it will go withoven door cracked open for about 20 minutes - they will get softer - then take them out and let them cool and they will harden up.

mskavon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskavon Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:11am
post #9 of 11

and it worked great!

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:31am
post #10 of 11

You can cover a foam core board with fondant for the top of the hat.

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 11

I just did one. It was due today and I made it yesterday. I used a 6in. round pan for the cap and wrapped black fondant around the sides and then covered a square piece of cardboard for the top. I did add tylose to my fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%