Can I Or Have You?? Two Questions...

Decorating By brenda549 Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 1:45am by Texas_Rose

brenda549 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 12:47am
post #1 of 4

#1 I accidentally ordered Americolor airbrush colors from Amazon. Can I use these mixed with buttercream, fondant, gp, or royal like regular paste colors?

#2 I am making a first birthday cake next week. The theme is sports/balls. I was planning on making different sports balls from RKT and covering in fondant. A friend suggested I use cakeballs since so many of my customers like them. I do not think I can get a smooth round look with the chocolate coating. Has anyone ever covered cakeballs with fondant only? Can anyone think of a reason I cannot cover cakeballs with fondant? I did think about purchasing a baby cakes cakeball maker and covering those with fondant.

Okay, sorry that was 3 questions. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Marianna46 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 12:59am
post #2 of 4

Airbrush colors are more watery than gel colors, so you might want to reduce the liquid in your icing/fondant. I've never heardof covering cakeballs in fondant, but since when is that any reason not to experiment? I have a couple of observations, though: a) covering anything round with fondant is kind of tedious; b) besides that, cakeballs have a tendency to fall apart when you manipulate them; but c) maybe you could freeze them before you cover them so they would hold their shape while you work on them. You'll get some condensation on them if you freeze them before you cover them, so be sure to let that dry really well before decorating them.

Coral3 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:43am
post #3 of 4

Could you dip the cakeballs in poured fondant?

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:45am
post #4 of 4

I have covered cake balls with fondant before. My advice is to thin down the chocolate coating with a spoonful of crisco and just use that. The fondant is tricky and doesn't come out looking very good, although it does taste much better than candy melts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%