I Almost Died!!! Please Keep Me In Your Prayers

Lounge By paula1234 Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 3:47am by costumeczar

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 15

Please keep me in your prayers. I have been diabetic since I was 8 years old, now 44 years old. I have been so busy taking care of my family that I forgot about myself. We have had 5 deaths in the family in 5 years. The most recent was my father. He passed away this march after a very long illness. I developed a small sore on my left pinky toe. Didn't think too much about it. I inspect my feet daily. A must with diabetes. My shoe didn't seem to put pressure on it so I thought it may be the seam in my socks. Changed brand of socks. It kept getting worse. As a nurse I thought I could take care of it. Did not have the time to go to the doctor. After my father passed away, I sank into a deep depression. I found myself turning away cake orders, couldn't remember if I took my medications or not. I began to wonder if I had alzheimer's. I have a cubscoout group and we had our disrict banquet on April 27th. I helped our cub master cook the meal. I was on my feet for over 12 hours. The pain in my little toe was unbearable. The next day I went to the emergency room because my primary doctor could not fit me in. Ever since I had noticed the sore I tried to get into our wound clinic and they wounld not see me because my wound was not draining, even though I am diabetic. So here I am in the ER, with excruciating pain, they are more worried about my blood sugar. I am placed on an insulin drip. I understand that my blood sugar is important but by this time my whole foot is red swollen and can't stand for any one just to look at it. The doctor decides to take an xray . He tells me there is no bone involvement. Sends me home and tells me to keep taking all of my meds. I am in agony all weekend. By Monday, which is my little cubbies graduation, which I am not going to miss, I wake up and every time I stand up, I am in the floor. If I want to go somewhere in the house, I crawl. I have to get my boys to help me. Time to go to scouts and I am so short of breathe that my oldest son tells me he is driving me. That I really need to go back to the hospital. He helps me with my uniform, I get to the front door and I tell him to take me to the ER. Get to the front porch and I tell him to call 911. The ambulance arrives and I have no blood pressure. I take High blood pressure medicine and my bp was 60/30. I am admitted to ICU for 5 days where once again I am placed on an insulin drip. Have emergency surgery for gangrene of my little toe as well as the fourth toe and part of my foot. After i get out of ICU I spent another 4 days in a regular room. I now have a wound vac that I have to carry around attached to my foot for another 8 months, but I have to go to the wound clinic everyday for very painful dressing changes and debridement once a week. The doctors there I used to work with were very upset that I didn't call them and they would have seen me. I think now that I am on the right track once again. just keep me and my family in your prayers. The doctors tell me hopefully in about 8 months my "hole in my foot" should be healed. I am now learning how to walk again. Today has been a good day, I have't fell.............yet!!![/b]

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 15

I'm so glad you're going to be okay, that sounds like a horrible thing to go through.

It really sounds like that ER doc did not do his job. Sometimes they don't...can you file a complaint with the hospital or your state medical board about him.

I had to learn to walk again a couple of years ago, after I broke my leg and had surgery on it. One of the most important things you can do is walk as normally as possible, so you don't end up hurting your other leg by putting all your weight on it.

Anyhow, I wish I was your neighbor, I'd come by every couple of days and make sure you were taking time out of your busy schedule to take care of yourself.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 12:16am
post #3 of 15

Oh Man...So sorry to hear about all this.I makes me mad wehen I hear about Dr's sending people home like it's no big deal and then bam...sick in the hospital...Hope you get better soon!!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:47am
post #4 of 15

Sending lots of healing light and will keep you in my prayers

Yes, we nurses are notorious for looking after everyone, BUT ourselves

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:09am
post #5 of 15

We just lost my father-in-law due to a wound on his leg and the infection... diabetes. A little more was involved, but you understand. Take care of yourself.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 15

I am so sorry that this happened to you. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. My sister was diagnosed with Type I when she was 8 years old, too. It's not easy, and my heart goes out to you. Take care of yourself and know that others are thinking of you and wish you well.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 7:02am
post #7 of 15

Prayers are up and it sounds like you have some pretty incredible boys too!!

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 7:20am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I'm so glad you're going to be okay, that sounds like a horrible thing to go through.

It really sounds like that ER doc did not do his job. Sometimes they don't...can you file a complaint with the hospital or your state medical board about him.

I had to learn to walk again a couple of years ago, after I broke my leg and had surgery on it. One of the most important things you can do is walk as normally as possible, so you don't end up hurting your other leg by putting all your weight on it.

Anyhow, I wish I was your neighbor, I'd come by every couple of days and make sure you were taking time out of your busy schedule to take care of yourself.

The OP has been a diabetic for 36 years, admits that she hasn't been taking care of herself, also admits that getting blood sugar under control was a priority and the ER Doc didn't do his job? Really?!? thumbsdown.gif

My father in law has been diabetic for over 40 years now, has had stints put in, his aeortic (sp?) valve replaced, his eyesight damaged, last year had a toe amputated and has a laundry list of other complications. If you ask him, he'll say it's because of my mother in law. What she cooks, what she won't let him have, etc., etc. Everyone knows that he has learned to "cheat" the system, we watch him do it all the time...

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 15

Prayers for you - remember you can't help someone else if you don't take care of yourself..

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

The OP has been a diabetic for 36 years, admits that she hasn't been taking care of herself, also admits that getting blood sugar under control was a priority and the ER Doc didn't do his job? Really?!? thumbsdown.gif

My father in law has been diabetic for over 40 years now, has had stints put in, his aeortic (sp?) valve replaced, his eyesight damaged, last year had a toe amputated and has a laundry list of other complications. If you ask him, he'll say it's because of my mother in law. What she cooks, what she won't let him have, etc., etc. Everyone knows that he has learned to "cheat" the system, we watch him do it all the time...

? ?

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 15

Glad to hear you're on the mend, that you'll be paying more attention to your meds, and that you have such wonderful sons!

Wishing you all the best on your recovery and your re-learning to walk. Not an easy thing to do I know. I had a friend that had to re-learn that very thing.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:00am
post #12 of 15

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad you're doing better now.

I hope your recovery is quick.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:44pm
post #13 of 15

That was a close call, let that hole in the foot remind you everyday-you have to put yourself first. Nothing else matters and I mean NOTHING, if you aren't going to be around for it to matter, right? God bless you and good luck!

suepers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepers Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 15

Scary. My husband also has Type I Diabetes and checks his feet daily. He has had one of his big toes amputated already and does not want to go through that again. That ER doc was negligent in sending you home without properly addressing the issue with your foot. Did he at least give you antibiotics for it? If not, then right there is a HUGE problem. If he did, then my guess is you waited too long to go in. Remember, if you don't take care of yourself, you won't be around to take care of anyone else. Good luck in the future, glad you're on the mend!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:47am
post #15 of 15

Take care of yourself! I hope that your recovery goes well. My husband's uncle had a similar problem and it took a while, but they finally got him to where his foot is fine and he can walk without pain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%