Royal Icing Verses Butter Cream (I Need Help Please)

Decorating By katwo Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 3:28pm by katwo

katwo Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if Royal Icing would be better to use or Butter cream Icing on top of fondant to do scroll work I need to do on a wedding cake. I know royal icing well crack and break so I was wondering will be best. the first one I will be trying it white on white, but then I might have another thats black on white.

6 replies
Cindy619 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 7

Sometimes I use buttercream, sometimes royal - depends what mood I'm in icon_wink.gif I will say I like using royal because if the cake gets touched, the piping work stays put.

mena2002 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

Sometimes I use buttercream, sometimes royal - depends what mood I'm in icon_wink.gif I will say I like using royal because if the cake gets touched, the piping work stays put.

I agree thumbs_up.gif

Unlimited Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 7

I use BC whenever possibleit's handy.

I never think about mixing another type of icing (especially one that tastes awful), when BC does the job just fine.

pxinos Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 7

I've been told you can mix a very little bit of piping gel with your royal to make it a little softer and more "edible". And I mean little, just 1 teaspoon per 2 cups. I haven't had opportunity to try it, so I can't vouch for it personally.

sweettreat101 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 2:58am
post #6 of 7

If you are using fondant I would do the royal. If your cake is frosted in butter cream I would stick with butter cream.

katwo Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%