Fool Me Once Shame On You, Fool Me Twice Shame On Me!

Decorating By KellyJo3 Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 12:57pm by all4cake

KellyJo3 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 16

When I first started my business, that is legal for those who will care, I was approached by my sister in law to do a cake for the old folks retirement community that she works for. They were having a vow renewal ceremony for the married couples that lived there and she was wondering if I could provide 2 wedding cakes. Of course she was looking for a deal too. Her boss informed me that if I was to do the cakes and just charge her for the ingredients that she would include my business in their community newspaper as well as their local newspaper. I did not include that in the contract, like an idiot because my business was not mentioned in either newspapers. I just chalked it up to doing family yet another favor.

Well all has been forgotten until I was contacted by my sister in law again to do another cake for another event and lo and behold, they only want to pay for the ingredients! Apparently they are on a tight budget again. Now this retirement community has buildings that are better then some 5 star hotels I've seen. I know they are not lacking in funds. They're also located in a very expensive area. I think someone's trying to pocket easy money again, as I am only assuming they did last time I made a cake for them.

Now, I'm stuck between doing a favor for my sister in law, whom I love dearly, or not providing these cakes for people who scewed me over. Also I don't want to disappoint the old couples, as they were all so sweet. But I feel if I do these cakes, that they'll always think they can contact me for an almost free cake whenever they want. What would ya'll do? TIA!

15 replies
AnotherCaker Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 16

Tell 'em to pound sand. Those nice old folks couldn't care less if their cake is fancy or a sheetcake from Walmart. What kind of cakes did they have way back when? Tuck-n-frill and bc roses.

sugarlover Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 16

They would have to pay full price. If you only charge them for ingredients only they will continue to comeback and expect the same thing. I don't think so!

mena2002 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 16

Don't do it, they will continue to expect to "just pay for the ingredients" each time. Tell them how much it will cost and if they don't like it then they can go elsewhere.

You have to put a value on your skills and time, if you don't others won't either.

malene541 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 16

Just reading your post it looks like you know what you should do! Charge them full price or walk away!!

Candice56 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 16

You have business with feeling from your heart and your head you have to remember you can't afford to lose money in business, also you will not know how many orders you lost from no advertisment that was promised.
I would remind your SIL that the "Home" did not hold up their end of the deal last time in a kind way to keep your relationship great with your SIL.
You also learned in writting a contract do not leave anything to I assume they will hold up their end of the deal.
I would suggest if they want a cake for the cost this time they need to do the advertisement now before the cake is needed since they already know what a great job you did last time or get it writting they will advertise this month and next to make up for the last over sight and get it writting, maybe the last time it was an over sight maybe it was not you just have to make it very clear to your SIL or whoever made the comment they would advertise, This is your business! not that you don't have a heart but it also costs you money too and you were expecting them to advertise.
Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

KellyJo3 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 16

thanks ya'll. I will send them a full price quote and be very professional and polite and just let my sister in law know that I am very booked, but can "squeeze them in" if they pay full price. : )

andpotts Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCaker

Tell 'em to pound sand. Those nice old folks couldn't care less if their cake is fancy or a sheetcake from Walmart. What kind of cakes did they have way back when? Tuck-n-frill and bc roses.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif lol, I must agree! Very well said AnotherCaker thumbs_up.gif

FrugalMommy Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:49am
post #9 of 16

Wow, looks like your SIL would have looked out for you a little bit last time! Did she know you got the shaft? ITA, don't do it again for ingredients only. It takes way too much time to make a cake to give it away.

Laurelj Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:14am
post #10 of 16

You MUST remember, you are in business to make a living, business first, charity second. Tell them you have already exceeded your limit for charity cakes for the year.
People keep asking me for free cakes, or at cost cakes and that is what I now tell them, or that I only do so many for charity a year and the quota for the year has been filled.

hollyml Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:44am
post #11 of 16

As far as preserving goodwill with your SIL, you can always say that you were happy to do her a favor at the time you were just starting your business, but of course now that you are established the situation is not the same. "I'm sure you understand."

Ask what the budget is (without judging whether it's an appropriate budget given the neighborhood and how nice the buildings are -- that's not your issue) and tell her what you could do for that price, if anything.

And you might consider whether you want to offer a "friends and family discount" as a matter of policy (not ingredients-cost only but something like a % off), and if so, to whom it gets extended. It's easier to decide in advance how you want to handle these things, so you'll already know what to say when your third cousin's husband asks if you can give him a good deal on his stepsister's wedding cake, you know? icon_wink.gif Also, that way you can follow up "I'm sure you understand" with "But I'll tell you what I CAN do for you..."

Holly

johnson6ofus Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:55am
post #12 of 16

Buy two 5 gallon buckets of paint and tell SIL your house needs painting, but you are providing the supplies... icon_evil.gif

Always amazing when your labor is worth zero....

solascakes Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:23am
post #13 of 16

[quote="AnotherCaker"]Tell 'em to pound sand. Those nice old folks couldn't care less if their cake is fancy or a sheetcake from Walmart.

Love it.

Chonte Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:57am
post #14 of 16

i remember when you first posted about this. i say don't do it. i used to work in a "retirement" community. they are NOT lacking on the funds let me tell you! they just figure "hey she did it last time!" so now they will keep coming back every time they need a cake. once was enough!

KellyJo3 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 12:23pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

Buy two 5 gallon buckets of paint and tell SIL your house needs painting, but you are providing the supplies... icon_evil.gif

Always amazing when your labor is worth zero....

icon_lol.gif

all4cake Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 12:57pm
post #16 of 16

It sounds like you want to do it but feel taken by the boss(es). It could be a win win...if you took the actual cost of the cake(s) and classified it under advertising expense?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%