First Tasting / Wedding Consult..any Pointers?

Decorating By Emmar308 Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 1:44pm by Emmar308

Emmar308 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there fellow cakers, i primarily offer novelty celebration cakes and am in no rush to move into the wedding market, although i do hope to reach this level at some point. I have been contacted by a lady regarding a wedding cake, i have been completely honest that i have not catered a wedding before however she was still keen for me to provide a quote for a plain two tier square cake with just ribbon decoration (she will have fresh flowers atop). I feel competent to produce the cake, but it's the tasting and consult i'm getting in a tizz about! I have fruit cake and sponge to taste (although it's fruit she did said she wanted), i'm just not sure how to 'present' the tasting and conduct the meeting! This probably all sounds a bit silly, but i would really appreciate any advice, (or warnings of what not to do!) that you guys can offer. Thanks very much for reading, Em xx

4 replies
Emmar308 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 5

Forgot to mention, the tasting is tomorrow!

Emmar308 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:11am
post #3 of 5

Bump icon_smile.gif

It's now today - please help!! Lol

CutieMcCakes Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 5

I hope I'm not too late to help! First of all, take a breath and relax... you're wanting your "guests" to feel calm when they come for the tasting, and if you're stressed, you don't want that to rub off onto them.

Treat them like you would a friend, offer them something to drink. I usually have the room set up for them when they come in. I have them sit down and while I'm getting their cake sample ready, I let them look at some pictures of other cakes I have made already.

It sounds like they already have a cake design in mind. Just go over the design with them. Do they want any changes? A different color ribbon? How many people? Is it indoor/outdoor wedding? Take down all of the information that you'll need. Ask them if they have any questions or suggestions or concerns? Let them know you'll get them a quote.

I think this is a brief rundown of what I do... but I hope you find something valuable in it.... the main part to me is to relax! Good luck and you'll do great!

Emmar308 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 5

CutieMccakes thankyou so much! 12 minutes til they arrive and i thought i'd have a last check to see if anyone had replied! Great idea re photo album whilst getting samples ready - i didn't know whether to have sample already out but didn't want to leave them on their own! Am deep breathing and ready to go, thankyou thankyou, such a big help, my head is fuddled ha ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%