Help!!!

Decorating By tjdudley Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 7:23pm by tjdudley

tjdudley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjdudley Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 8

I made a graduation topsy turvy cake for someone. It looked good, but was not as easy as I thought ( my first one). Well, she picked it up. It is humid out, she had no air in her car, and we put it in her small car not level back seat. W put something under it to make it more level. Well, she didn't even make it 10 miles from my home and it crashed. What can I do better next time? And do I refund her money?

7 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 8

If a customer is picking up a specialty cake like a topsy turvy, I always go over what they are driving, where it needs to sit, etc.. to make sure they understand how delicate cakes can be.. especially in heat/humidity. Once the cake left my place and I knew it was secure, then I am done with it. If the customer doesn't want me to deliver, then there isn't much I can do except for to explain the above and to drive slow, etc.....

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 8

I have had a similar situation except it didn't totally crash. I ALWAYS make sure there are two people traveling with the cake so one person can drive and the other can sit with the cake to protect it. And I also say once it's out of your hands - you're done, the responsibility is the clients. I would not refund the money.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 8

Was it a stacked cake? Did you dowel the tiers that needed it? Was it fondant covered or b/c? Do you have a pic of it. Can you tell us a little more. Did you seperate each tier that needed it with cake board, etc. I can,t understand how it crashed so fast, even in the hot car. But a hot car and sitting it in a uneven seat is not good. That is the way it happens sometimes. They don,t do as you ask them to. I would have to give a little something back on it. She may will ask you to do another one in the future.hth

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 8

I dont think anything could of survived those conditions (other than you delivering it). Putting it in the fridge might of helped but in an uneven surface I dont know. Did you mention to them what to be prepared for when they picked it up? I know you shouldnt have someone hold it but that might of been better than sitting uneven in a back seat. I had someone take a birthday cake from me and she threw it in her front seat. I only bake for my friends and they pay me for the ingredients but I told her it might be better in the trunk flat (it was 2 tiered) and to drive carfully. Well she tore out of the parking lot, it stayed up ( I dont know how) but I warned her lol! Anyways the only thing I can think of for next time is to tell them your not responsible for it once it leaves. So they need to be responsible for have a level surface in a cool car otherwise it wont survive the trip.

tjdudley Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 8

I did have boards between tiers as well as dowels and I did dowel it all the way through from top to bottom. I was concerned when I saw her pull up in a little 2 door vehicle. I am trying to post a pic, but it is not letting me.

tjdudley Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 8

I made my first wedding cake,twice as high, delivered it, and I hadn't put dowels or boards in it ( my first tier, I had no idea what I was doing), and it made it. I even had to drive up a steep steep hill to get it to the party. And it made it perfectly. So, I know I did everything right this time. She is a friend. I told her I would refund her, and she said I didn't need to refund it all as I did put time and money into it. I just know now that I will either deliver, or make sure they know, once it leave my hands it is on them. I appreciate the replies.

tjdudley Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 8

oh, it was fondant with the buttercream frosting under it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%